Chapter Twenty Four

Dedicated to the lovely @frothy_ for always making me smile and being such a brilliant friend! Also bc the discussions we always have make me laugh!

The song to the side is Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding who is my favourite singer (her voice is like liquid gold!!!! how??)

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

-Scarlett-

“I was hoping we could talk,” I said and Cole frowned.

“What about?” he asked stiffly and I sighed. I didn’t want Cole to act all indifferent and careless!

“About the whole Brandon situation,” I took a seat beside him, cautiously. The low hanging leaves of the tree brushed my hair when I had bent down.

“Okay. Talk.”

“Don’t be like that,” I pleaded softly. “I don’t know what to do.”

“How about expose Brandon for the jerk he really is, instead of bowing down to him just like any other person,” Cole’s voice rose in anger and I looked down at my feet.

“He- he apologised. Last night,” I took a deep breath and continued when Cole didn’t say anything “after I left your place and came home, he was there, waiting on the doorstep. He said he was sorry and he didn’t mean to and-” I was cut off by Cole.

“I bet he also said he didn’t know what came over him,” Cole laughed bitterly and I felt myself shrinking.

I don’t know why I was being all quiet and passive. No one other than Cole could make me feel like that.

“He didn’t mean to,” I whispered.

“Bullshit,” Cole roared, standing up, running his hands through his hair aggressively. “I know what I saw. He was going to hurt you Scar!”

I felt myself shudder when Cole called me ‘Scar’. It was the first time he ever used my nickname. It wasn’t a bad kind of shudder, like the one you get when creepy old men stare at you, it was the kind of shudder that I liked, warm and fuzzy.

I pushed it to the back of my mind.

“He wasn’t going to hurt me Cole! Maybe you saw wrong!” I yelled the last part and Cole stopped his pacing and turned to face me.

Coming very close to me, he looked straight into my eyes. “I know what I saw, Scarlett. And don’t you dare try and convince me otherwise.”

I took a step back and slowly slid down the bark of the tree, slumping on the ground.

“I don’t know,” I whispered “I just don’t know.”

Cole sighed and sat down next to me. “I’m sorry.”

There was a long moment of silence before he spoke again.

“I wasn’t trying to be pushy or break you guys up. I just don’t want him to get away with what he has done.”

“I know…Can we talk about something else now?” I asked hesitantly and he nodded. “How is your sister?”

“Good. She’s good,” Cole said hesitantly “but she was asking about you the other day.”

“What did she say?” I turned to face Cole and he stared back at me, blinking slightly after a while.

“She asked when she will see you again.”

I laughed lightly. “She’s so cute!”

“She likes you.”

“I like her too.”