Chapter Twenty Five

Dedicated to the talented @bateaux for being a beautiful writer and because I eagerly await for her updates each time!

The song to the side is Team by Lorde which has being playing on repeat for me! Make sure to check it out as it is linked below.

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

-Scarlett-

Dinner was great!

Mrs Jackson spent most of the time making fun of Cole which made me laugh a lot. Abby giggled through most of it while Cole pretended to look really upset but I knew he was just fooling around

I decided to help Mrs Jackson clean up the table while Cole went upstairs to tuck Abby into bed.

“So how long have you and Cole known each other then?”

“Not very long, Mrs Jackson. Just since the start of the year.”

“Aha,” she nodded and then looked like she was hesitating to say something before she continued. “It’s strange actually.”

“What is?”

“Cole never really brings girls over for dinner. In fact, in the seventeen years I’ve known him, I don’t think he has ever brought home a girl for me to meet. Nor has he talked about one before,” she said thoughtfully.

I felt myself blushing. “Oh no, Mrs Jackson, we’re just friends.”

“That’s okay, honey. I won’t tell,” she shot me a teasing smile and I felt my blush deepen.

“No, really,” I tried to assure her “we don’t like each other that way.”

Mrs Jackson smirked. “Whatever you say, darling.”

I pretended that the dish I was drying was very interesting as my face continued to burn.

I didn’t like like Cole. Why was she saying that I did?

Cole saved me from further contemplation when he walked in through the door. “Abby is all tucked up, nice and tight, okay? I read her that princess story she loves and I gave her Mr Cuddles and hopefully she won’t come back downstairs after an hour.”

“Was she asleep when you left?” Mrs Jackson asked.

“Nearly. She was beginning to drift off.”

“Hmm,” Mrs Jackson nodded. “Okay then, you two. Cole, why don’t you see Scarlett out? I’ll finish the dishes.”

Cole nodded at me to follow him and I did, grabbing my purse and shoes while I was at it.

“Does Abby have sleeping problems, then?” I asked, curious.

“Something like that. She just likes to come downstairs in the middle of the night and watch cartoons or eat all the cookies in the pantry.”

I laughed. “She’s adorable.”

Cole rolled his eyes. “An adorable brat.”

“But you love it,” I poked him playfully in the ribs and he gave me a mock glare.

“Unfortunately, yes, I do,” he gave an exaggerated sigh, making me laugh.

 “Thanks for dinner, tonight,” I said, smiling slightly. “It tasted delicious and your mother is so sweet!”

“She really likes you.”

I smiled. “I really like her too. And Abby.”

“What about me,” Cole feigned being hurt.