Chapter Seventeen

Dedicated to @losangelesque bc her books are brilliant

The song to the side is New Perspective by Panic at the Disco

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

-Scarlett-

Prom. It was the greatest time of the year; when girls went out and bought dresses and shoes and cute bags and even cuter accessories.

It was my absolute favourite time. And my mother's too.

So when I came downstairs that morning, into the kitchen, where she was siting, that was the first thing she asked me.

"Honey, have you planned for prom yet?" she asked, looking up from her phone for a second.

I grabbed an apple and took a bite. "Yeah, I bought a dress and shoes and all that stuff with Stacy."

Mom sighed, "Make sure to show me so we can be sure you look absolutely perfect. We do want to win the Prom Queen title right?"

I nodded. "Absolutely."

Mom looked satisfied. "Good. And I hope you have a cute date?"

"Well...he hasn't asked me yet but I'm sure he will very soon," I grinned and Mom nodded, going back to her phone.

"I won Prom Queen in high school," she said distractedly.

"I know," I replied. Mom had spent a great deal of time telling me how she was her high school's very first Prom Queen and what she dressed like and who her date was. It used to be my bedtime story as a child.

"It was the best night of my life," Mom said. "It will be for you, too, if you plan and prepare."

"I know Mom," I sighed.

"Oh and I won't be able to make it to dinner today so eat with Jolly okay? I have a big meeting today and there is no way I can get out of it," she groaned.

I shrugged and nodded. It was nothing new.

"Okay then, I'm off to school," I waved before exiting my house and closing the door behind me.

I started my car and drove to school, honking at an occasional driver.

**

Reaching school and parking my car in my usual slot, I got out and was a frantic Stacy instantly zoomed to my side.

"Sooo?" she asked.

I raised an eyebrow while walking into the courtyard.

"So what?"

"How was the date?" Stacy gushed, looking like an eager little puppy. "You promised to text me after but I guess you forgot."

"Oh yeah, I did, sorry. And the date was fine," I replied distractedly as I spotted Brandon and his jock friends across the oval.

I waved my hand and he spotted me, jogging over.

"Hey babe," he greeted me, grabbing me into a quick kiss. It was a little strange since we didn't kiss often but I guess we were still getting into the swing of things.

I kissed him back, wrapping my arms around his head.

When we finally parted, I knew most of the school's population had their eyes on us and there were a few wolf whistles, mainly from the jocks.

"Hey, you," I smiled back, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"Hi Stacy," Brandon acknowledged Stacy, who was standing next to me.