Chapter Fourteen

Dedicated to @simranm17 bc His Melody is the most unique book ever and she has written it really well :))

The song on the side is Blame by Calvin Harris ft. John Newman and I really like it even though it doesn't have anything to do with the chapter. I've just been trying to add in more music in case you want some recommendations.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

-Scarlett-

I jumped when there was a loud thud of books, startling me from the English essay I was writing in the library.

I turned to see Stacy sliding into the chair next to mine.

"Oh hey," I smiled at her.

"Where have you been lately?" she asked, turning to me and raising a perfectly waxed eyebrow. "And what on earth are you even doing in the library? I didn't even know it existed! I mean, I had to ask this nerd where it was after I couldn't find you anywhere and then he spent like 10 minutes stuttering over his answer, like wtf?"

I rolled my eyes at Stacy's dramatic response. "Um...what do you mean? I've always been here. And I have to finish a report for English."

"I mean that I never even see you anymore? We barely even hang out anymore and you've even ditched Brandon. Yesterday he was asking about you and I didn't even know where you were. Do you know how that makes me look like a bad best friend? No – you don't," she snapped and a wave of irritation washed over me. 

How on earth did she make this about herself?

"Oh and," she continued "why do you even bother with school work? Like, I don't get it. Both your parents are like, super, filthy rich and all and your trust fund could like, probably last you your entire life!"

I wanted to laugh at the amount of times she said 'like' in that sentence but I kept my mouth shut.

It was true, some people did believe that I didn't have to work a single day of my life, nor did I have to get an education because I could live of the money my parents gave me for the rest of my life but I didn't want to do that.

I wanted to be smart and successful and independent. Not dumb, reliant and needy. But it wasn't something I told everyone. In fact, I hadn't even told my mother I was thinking of applying to NYU.

I knew it wasn't a fact she would be happy with, hence, me not telling her.

"Scarlett?" Stacy snapped her fingers in front of my face and I blinked and shook my head.

"Um...what?"

"Where were you?"

"I was busy."

"Doing what?"

"I- I was working on that project for psychology."

"With that freak?" Stacy's nose scrunched up.

I frowned at Cole being referred to as a 'freak' because for some reason, it didn't suit me well. Sure, I called him a freak but to hear Stacy say it with so little respect made my stomach turn. "Yeah."

"Ugh, you ditched me for him?"

"I didn't ditch you," I explained patiently. "I have to work on that project."

"Why do you even care? It's only psychology, just flunk it. Or blame it on the freak or something. Or pay the teacher off. I mean, I kinda think she needs it, ya know? I mean, did you see her clothes? They were, like, hideous," Stacy shuddered and I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

Why hadn't I ever realised how annoying she was?

"I don't want a bad grade," I said.

"Oh who cares? Just pay the principal off or something," she said

I frowned. "No, that's wrong. Look I'm sorry Stacy, maybe we can hang out today then?"

Her expression brightened and she nodded. "Yeah, they're these really cute shops that I have been dying to go and..." Stacy continued to speak but I tuned out.

**

I met Stacy outside the gym after school and we both walked to our cars. She giggled as she read a text on her phone.

"Guess what?"

I turned to her. "Yeah?"

She smirked widely, revealing her shiny, white teeth. "I think Jack just might ask me to the prom," she smirked.

I nodded. "That's nice."

Jack was her long time crush and Brandon's friend. He was cute enough even though he was a little loud and crude.

"That's it? Nice?" she asked. "What about you? Has Brandon asked you to prom yet?"

There was a little fleeting moment when I remembered how I had always wanted to go to prom with him and how important that had been to me but now for some reason, it felt like it didn't matter that much anymore.

But I nodded nonetheless. "He hasn't yet but I bet he's thinking of some big way to ask me," I gave her a confident grin slipping back into my 'queen bee of the school' role.

She nodded. "Aha. Anyway, do you think it's too early to start shopping for prom?"

I shook my head. "It's never too early for that."

**

I walked through the rows of frills and feathers and lace and sequences and it reminded me of my bittersweet dream of having my perfect prom.

It was almost a lifetime ago.

I didn't realise how distracted I had become with the whole psychology and Cole thing. I was losing sight of my goals and aspirations for what? Nothing.

Stacy was right. I had totally stopped spending time with her and Brandon and my other friends. In fact, I had almost stopped ruling the school and that made me feel very worried.

With that thought in mind, I walked over to Stacy who was looking at some other racks that contained dresses and linked my arm through hers.

She looked at me in surprise and I grinned.

"Let's go shop up a storm!"

**

After Stacy and I spend countless hours going through every single rack in every single store we finally made our decision. I smiled over at the dress hanging in the corner.

It was a stunning hot pink colour with sequences and gems strewn across the front. I loved it. It was the kind of dress I had dreamed of since I was a child.

My matching shoes lay open in the box beside the dress. They were the matching colour with jewels across the toe and side and a 5 inch heel. They were perfect.

Everything was absolutely perfect, I thought as I replied to a text from Brandon. This would be exactly how I imagined it.

________________

A/N : so as promised, here is your update aha but it wasn't as long as i hoped it would be, whoops but nonetheless, i hope you liked it. oh and the weirdest thing happened omg this crazy bird starting attacking me and i was so scared wow. anyway, if you liked the chapter remember to vote, comment and maybe even fan. oh and tell me who your fav character in the book is bc im really interested to know. byee