Chapter Ten

Dedicated to @geniejennie for making me my very first fan cover. I appreciate it so much that you would take the time out to create something because you like my work. Thank you a ton. Really.

CHAPTER TEN

-Scarlett-

I picked at my salad, not in the mood to eat. Sighing, I pushed it back and put my head in my hands. Mom hadn't come home last night.

I knew she wasn't missing. Or dead. Or anything dreadful like that because in the morning, during first period she called to let me know she was back at home, safe and sound, probably after listening to all the frantic voicemails I had left her in her time away.

When I asked her why she was gone, she mentioned some business meeting she had to attend. I had just nodded and said a simple 'fine' even though I didn't believe her one bit.

"Everything okay?" Brandon's voice startled me out of my reprieve.

I looked up and nodded. "Yeah, great. Just worried about a bio test," I lied and he nodded, satisfied and went back to laughing with his football buddies.

Ever since the date, we had been sitting together for lunch, side by side and occasionally, he would hold my hand or put his arm around my shoulders.

We had planned our next date for Friday but he wouldn't tell me where we were going. He said it was a surprise.

The other problem on my mind was Cole.

I still had to follow him around and write notes about him which I forgot to start yesterday meaning I was already a day behind.

Looking around the busy courtyard, I spotted him leaning against an old oak tree with an apple in hand.

He must have felt my stare because he looked up and our eyes met. He looked worried, I noticed, because he was frowning moodily.

I jumped when someone snapped their fingers in front of my face.

"What?" I said, looking around.

"Why're you staring at him?" Stacy jerked her head in the direction of Cole and my mind went blank.

I didn't know why I was staring at him.

I blinked at her. "I just remembered, um, I need to talk to him," I mumbled, standing up quickly.

Everyone at the table looked at me in surprise and worry.

"Why?" Stacy asked.

"You okay?" Brandon questioned.

I nodded and smiled reassuringly. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, I just have to start writing notes on him and stuff," I said, backing away slowly.

"Okay then, see you later?" Brandon asked and I nodded, giving him one last smile before leaving.

I headed towards the oak tree and stopped in front of Cole who was leaning back, head against the trunk with his eyes shut.

"Jackson," I said coldly and his eyes fluttered open.

"Anderson," he said evenly.

"I need to start on the notes," I said stiffly and he nodded.

"So start."

"Well..." I gave him a glare "tell me something."

"The point of the exercise is to observe," he snorted.

I frowned and pulled out the diary we had to keep.

Likes to eat apples, I wrote, observing the apple he had in his hand.