Chapter Twenty Three

Dedicated to @17serenity bc she made me the beautiful cover on the side and eeek, it is just too perfect!!

The song to the side is Life Happens by Brandon and Leah which is one of my new fav songs right now!

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

-Scarlett-

There was an old, homeless man near where I had parked. He was huddled into a corner, clutching a blanket as if it were his lifeline. Even from far away, you could see the tremors rocking his body as the cold wind whipped around him.

 I looked away.

Sighing, I turned my car off and stepped outside while pulling my coat tighter to my body.

After much debating, I finally had decided to come to my mother’s office. She was working late once again but I didn’t know what to do. I had to talk to someone and it couldn’t be Jolly because she wouldn’t understand and if she did, she would believe that I should just break up with Brandon and move on with my life.

If only it were that easy! 

Even though a small part of me wanted to, I knew it would wreck the entire system of hierarchy in the school!

It had always been that the most popular guy dates the most popular girl. Jolly and Cole wouldn’t be able to understand something like that!

Maybe that is why Cole thought I was a coward. After he uttered those words, I turned my back and walked away, slamming the door on my way out.

First, I had felt furious! No one talked to me like that!

But then, it slowly began to sink in. I was a coward.

I didn’t want to risk ruining my reputation. People would begin to judge me or make up rumours like I was a bad kisser or extremely demanding and ended up driving Brandon away.

Or Brandon could make up a bunch of lies. But people would believe him because I knew most of the girls in the school didn’t like me and that his football buddies just needed something new to laugh about.

Without my reputation, I knew I would be nothing.

I was aware of the fact that most of the girls in the school hated me. I knew it. And to some extent I was proud that I could conjure up such utter loathing from people.

But as soon as my reputation was tarnished and the girls of the school stopped fearing me, they would be able to walk all over me and I wouldn’t be able to do anything about it and I couldn’t risk being the laughing stock of the school!

As I pulled up in front of my mother’s office I sighed. Hopefully she would understand.

Fingers crossed, I thought as I neared her office.

I was about to enter through the glass doors when I spotted my mother, inside, with someone else.

A man.

They were both laughing and he had his arm around her waist. She looked at him affectionately, adoration shining clearly in her eyes.

Maybe he isn’t who you think, I reasoned. Don’t jump to conclusions Scarlett. He might just be a friend. A really, really close friend.

I crept into the bushes to hide so I was able to spy on them as they came out.

He opened the door for my mother and she giggled and touched his arm in a flirty gesture.