5

Sorry again

I scoffed and placed my phone in my back pocket. For the past two weeks, Lara has been partying and missing work. How was I supposed to shadow her if she wasn't there?! Poor Lexi has been keeping me updated. She would apologize everyday that Lara stood me up.

"For someone who volunteered to have me tail them, she sure is doing an awful job." I muttered.

"Yea, sorry about that." I turned to Jelena. "I was so caught up in pressing them, that I neglected to realize I got outwitted. She's the most unreliable out of them and that's the one who volunteered." Jelena ran a hand through her blond locks. "I'm beginning to wonder if that was their plan all along."

"I don't think so. They seemed pretty pissed when she accepted."

"Too busy to do her job, but not too busy to party it seems." Kendall showed us a picture of Lara with her tongue down someone's throat.

I'm not sure why, but the image made me sick. I turned away and began busying myself with some files. Actually, an idea just occurred to me.

"Jelena?" She turned. "How fast can we write up a contract?"

X

It's been a couple of days since we sent the contract to the company's lawyers. They looked it over and had negotiated the different terms. Eventually, the executives signed it, even Lara.

However, still no word from her. It's beginning to piss me off that I'm going on three weeks without actually starting my job. It's infuriating because the longer she doesn't comply, the longer I have to stay in this mission.

Lexi had been giving me apology type gifts. She'd have coffee, desserts, and other foods brought to me everyday. Along with the food would be an apology note. I always texted to thank her and recognize her thoughtfulness. She was really sweet.

Zayn had also gone undercover with me at the department. He was actually stationed in Spencer's group, believe it or not. Jade was placed in the chemistry research group in Cobalt Enterprise to actually spy on the weapon manufacturing. Matt had been, understandably, pissed about how the mission was unfolding, so he sent in helping hands. I'm just happy he allowed my friends to work with me. Now, we could hang out without suspicion being drawn.

I checked my phone to see that it was just after 11:30am. Any moment, a package of sweets would be brought to me by one of the secretaries. I had come to expect that between 11:30-11:45 would be my surprise package from Lexi.

I glanced up and saw the form of the secretary moving. I looked away and started googling Lara. It's become one of my many hobbies at work since I didn't have much to do. I'd come, listen to Jelena delegate different tasks to each person, and then semi accomplish them. I was halfassing my work for two reasons. One, I didn't want to stand out. And two, my new hobby (looking at pictures of Lara) distracted me.

I was intently staring at a photo of Lara on a red carpet. Her head was turned as she conversed with a reporter. Her side profile allowed her sharp jawline to be displayed. I had to catch myself from drooling at the sight of such a sexy woman.

"Ahh, not my best photo." I jumped and turned to see Lara intently staring at the screen. "The picture makes my eyes look a little droopy, don't you think?" She now switched her attention to me. She began smirking at my flustered state, no doubt I was blushing like mad. "Oh, these are for you." She revealed a bag of munchkins. "Lexi said you liked the various flavors." She placed them on my desk.

"Uh, thanks. What are you doing here?" I glanced around and saw all eyes were on us. How arrogant can she be? She was under an investigation, yet had the nerve to waltz inside a police department with no cares in the world.