19

I finished stacking the files for Taylor. The past week I've been ineffective to the department. As far as they knew, I was following a potential lead, when in actuality I kinda gave up on the whole investigating Lara and her family's company. Jelena has been irate over the lack of progress, especially since Spencer has claimed to have a lead.

I had looked at Zayn who rolled his eyes. Spencer was just bluffing. She didn't have any lead, but wanted to get in Jelena's head. And to be honest, she was succeeding. Spencer left with a pep in her step at getting under Jelena's skin.

Jelena walked towards us and began ranting about Spencer. We bobbed our heads along so that she'd think we were listening. I made eye contact with Harry and Kendall. Harry made the crazy sign and Jelena snapped at him. He meekly whimpered when she began shouting in his face. Oooookay, I decided to take a break.

I began walking to the front, but collided with someone. Not just someone, someone with an irresistible scent. I smiled at Lara who was carrying brownies. I smiled and took the pan from her and brought it to my desk. Thankfully, sweet treats were the cure for Jelena's angry state. She took nearly half the tray and stalked to her desk.

"Life saver." Taylor whispered to me and walked out the room.

Kendall was busy trying to comfort Harry, so I took Lara's hand and walked out the door. I immediately dropped her hand once I realized there could be unwanted eyes. I saw a brief look of disappointment flash across her face.

I pushed open the door of a local cafe and guided her to a booth in the back. She wasted no time in scooting next to me. I ordered a salad and lemonade while Lara asked for a sex on the beach. I eyed her as she smirked at me.

"How are you today, gorgeous?" She smiled.

"Work was a little chaotic this morning. Spencer was taunting Jelena about having compounding evidence against your company. One look from Zayn told me she was bluffing. Unfortunately, Jelena doesn't know that and took her anger out on Harry." I took a bite of my salad.

"What do you need to make it look like you're doing your job?" She took a sip of her drink.

"Well, I'm supposed to be looking for tax evasion or something like that." I shrugged, not really remembering what I was supposed to be doing.

"How about a tax discrepancy from five years ago?" I glanced up at her. "Maybe something as simple as over appreciating some assets in order to acquire a loan, but then under appreciating our assets for tax purposes." She sipped some more. "What do you think?"

"That's perfect!" I beamed. "But, won't that put you in legal jeopardy?"

"Nothing an average lawyer can't sort out." She dismissed my concerns.

"What have you been up to?"

"Work, familial matters, and other issues." She responded.

"Familial matters?" I was curious about the last thing, but I thought that was best left for another day.

"Yes, they had quite the response to your heritage." Right, I forgot that I had her tell them.

"A positive response?" She just smirked at my question. "Definitely, the opposite then. What did they say?"

"Nothing that needs to be repeated. Anyways..." She changed the subject. "How has your training been going?"

"Really well! I can transform at will and have beaten Zayn's ass in a fight. Jade's a bit tougher to beat, but I can still hold my own. As for Matt..." I gulped. "His muscles are intimidating as is his 8 foot tall black wolf." I shuddered. "Definitely didn't want to be sparring with him."