23

Taemin drove us into the town. The buildings were something out of a storybook. It looked like old German houses from a picture book. I was surprised that there wasn't snow everywhere, but then again we were at the base of the mountain. We drive over the bridge of a canal. I looked down to see rose petals floating.

There were flowers lining the doorways of buildings. I saw the streets bustling with people and different people bargaining with vendors. There were restaurants serving people and musicians entertaining their audience.

"Vampires aren't the only ones who live here?" I posed a question.

"No. The town houses vampires and humans alike... and other supernaturals that aren't werewolves." Alec answered from the front.

"This is also a vibrant ski location, so many tourists." Lara explained.

"The vampires down here aren't the vicious, killing kind. They love living amongst different species. The hostile vampires live in the mountain." Alec pointed up. I could barely make out the impressive castle. It was hidden by the clouds in the sky.

"Vampires who can't control their thirsts aren't allowed down here. A peace treaty was crafted, so every vampire has to abide by it." Lara said just as Taemin stopped the car.

Taemin and Alec exited the car. Taemin opened my door while Alec opened Lara's. Lara put a gentle hand on my lower back and guided me through the vibrant streets.

We stopped at different food stalls, so I could try the local cuisine. We also watched the buskers do acrobatic type dancing and play their instruments. Every so often, we'd pass what I assume to be vampires. Those vampires would stop and bow to Alec and Lara. I inquired about it, but they said it was just a usual greeting people gave them. I thought it was weird that they only did it to them and no one else, but I held back my question.

I guided them to a flower stall. I sniffed the aromatic scents the flowers emitted. They were so beautiful. Lara was about to ask me something, but some people bowed to her. They then began to speak to her and Alec. Taemin and I patiently stood behind them, but it didn't seem like the conversation would be wrapping up anytime soon.

I took the time to observe Taemin. He was rigid as he stood. I don't think this guy ever relaxed. He was always on high alert. He looked at me from the corner of his eye.

"Tae." He turned as I called him. I totally didn't mean to call him by his nickname. It's just that I'm so used to the rest of them calling him that.

"Yes." His attention shifted to me.

"How'd you wind up guarding Alec?" I saw a war going on in his mind. Perhaps, I shouldn't have asked. "Sorry. You don't-"

"I was born in a town in modern day North Korea." He began.

Taemin proceeded to tell me how the town he's from was raided by rogue vampires. They killed the entire town and kidnapped the children to rape and exploit them. The raiders left and it was by the grace of God he survived.

Reinforcements had been sent to fend off the invaders, but they were too late. Everyone had died. Or, so they thought. They could hear a faint heartbeat in a dead woman. They realized the woman had died pregnant, so they had to cut him out of his mother. He was 3 months premature. He had a high probability of dying, but he miraculously survived.

His rescuers named him Taemin since it meant superior. He was superior over the invaders since he survived their onslaught. He was raised by his adopted father who was a royal guard. The moment Taemin could walk, he was fighting.