26

I was lying on the cold floor shivering. The man is truly torturous. We are legit in the middle of the mountains and he refuses to give his "slaves" a blanket. Even if I wanted to sleep, the thought that Lara is the vampire princess, spawn of the cruelest man in the world, keeps plaguing my mind.

She knew from day one that her family was behind the murder of my dad and she chose to say nothing. All my complaints about her father and she never said anything. She only agreed and added to my rant. I feel like an idiot. They all knew who he was, but me. I felt played.

"Mila." I refused to look at the person on the other side of the cage. "Please at least use the blanket." I made no indication of hearing her. "I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?!" I sat up with a start. "You're related to that man and I had to find out from him! He killed my dad! Enslaved my people and you're just saying sorry?!"

"It was a different time Mila. I don't support his decisions anymore."

"Why?" I glared at her. "Oh, please don't say it's because you met me!" I mocked.

"No, I've changed many years ago. That's why my mom, brother, and I decided to open up a company that can help people. It's a way for us to clean up the ledger that's so bloody red." She pleaded with me. "I was a power hungry, manipulative girl back then. But, I'm not anymore! Believe me please!"

"What's done is done." I sat on the ground.

"What do you mean?" She squatted down on the other side. "Why are you speaking like you've given up hope?"

"What hope is there to have left?" I looked at her. "Your dad is going to kill me." She winced when I said the word dad. "And we can't even try to escape since he has the place under lock and key." I rested my head against the wall.

"I will save you!"

"How? You were utterly powerless against your father." Again she winced when I mentioned her relation to that man. "He'd kill you without batting an eye." She looked down guiltily. I moved closer to her so I could hold her hands. "And I refuse to allow that." I tilted her chin up so that her eyes connected with mine. "I'll do anything and everything in my power to protect you." I kissed her knuckles.

"I can't stomach seeing you in a place like this." Her eyes roamed over the dilapidated walls.

She abruptly stood up and broke the lock. I looked at her in confusion as she ripped the metal door off. She then picked me up and walked me past the guards. They tried to say something, but one glare from her shut them up. Lara carried me the entire journey to her room. I blushed in embarrassment as we past guards who were either smirking or trying to hold in their laughter at my state.

Lara kicked open her bedroom door and plopped me onto the bed. I took a chance to absorb her room as she went to close the door. It was elegant, with a light blue and white color scheme. It was much more refined and regal than her comfortable room in Maryland.

She closed the door and then crawled on the bed next to me. She took me in her arms and provided me with much needed affection. Lara then pulled up the blankets so that I could actually heat up. I buried my face in her chest as the anxiety of tomorrow morning began to seep in.

"I'll protect you. I promise." She kissed the top of my head and lulled me to sleep.

X

The next morning came too quickly. Lara dressed me in a light blue dress. I sighed as she got dressed in a lilac colored one. She had made arrangements with Lexi to sneak some food up here for me. I didn't have an appetite, but she urged me to eat.