𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. the birthday gift

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER THIRTY SIX -
THE BIRTHDAY GIFT

ELLIE GASPED WITH GLEE AS she walked into the next exhibit, looking at the large solar system model that was hanging from the ceiling, "Did you know this was here?!"

Joel took her gasp the wrong way, "You don't like it. We can head back..." he offered.

Ellie chuckled and waved him off, "Oh, shut up!"

She walked to the little modal rockets first, "Hey, Mom, Joel, Guess what the first animal to go to space was."

"I don't have to guess, it was a monkey." Joel stated confidently.

"Actually, sweetheart, it was fruit flies." Kathy corrected with a smirk. Ellie had told her about it before.

"Yeah, in nineteen forty seven. It was to see radiation exposure at high altitudes. They lived through it." Ellie added on, enthusiastically.

"Damn girl, you are smart." Joel complimented the teen.

Ellie smiled at the praise, "Thanks."

"Did they become super flies?" He questioned, his interest peaked.

"What? No."

Kathy laughed softly, "Yeah, Joel. They totally became super flies." She said sarcastically.

"Well, colour me impressed." Joel huffed, "How many books have you read about this?"

"C'mon, Joel. Isn't it incredible?" Ellie replied.

"Why don't you tell us what you like about it?" Kathy asked, ruffling her daughter's hair.

Ellie hummed, "I dunno. People in your time. They had it easy."

"I guess relatively speaking, sure." Joel shrugged.

"I mean, they didn't need to go to space, but they did it anyway." Ellie elaborated. "It's...ballsy."

"Hmm, ballsy," Joel said in amusement, "Alright, kiddo. Now I get it."

"Hey, Joel, can you name all the planets?" The teen asked as she looked at the solar system display.

Joel cleared his throat, "My very educated mother just served us nice pizza."

"Uh...Did you just have a stroke?"

"My: Mercury, Very: Venus, Mother: Mars..."

Ellie nodded in understanding, "Oh, okay, I get it. That's pretty cool."

"Do you know how many times we've been to the moon?" Kathy quizzed her family. She knew Ellie would know the answer.

Joel answered first, "Uh...twice?"