𝐯. time to shine

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER FIVE -
TIME TO SHINE

KATHY'S FEET LANDED with a thump on the other side of the scaffolding, "Sweetheart, you okay?"

"Other than shitting my pants?" Ellie gasped, "I'm fine."

"Let's go." Tess said, taking in their surroundings.

They were in another stairwell and going up wasn't an option as it was blocked by a demolished wall. The only way was down after Joel had pulled a file cabinet out of the way, "Here you go ladies."

"Ever the gentleman, Joel." Kathy smirked, hoping over the railing and down to the lower level. They were back on the fifth floor, only they were now in a different section.

"The stairwell's blocked." Ellie observed by the broken window. "Should we go back up?"

Tess didn't answer, just climbed out the window and onto the suspended scaffolding that would've been used for window washing back before the world went to shit. "Ahhh, this is crazy. Just don't look down."

"Wha- Are you serious?!" Ellie questioned in disbelief, but followed anyway after an encouraging nudge from her aunt. Kathy went next and Joel went last, climbing onto the next one and then the ledge on the outside of the building. "Don't look down. Just don't look down."

"You're okay. We got a way through." Tess told her shifting along and into another broken window. Kathy reckoned they were now on level four, but she couldn't really tell with the sign missing on the stairs.

Coming across another deceased soldier - this one was missing a left hand - Joel picked up a Revolver and checked to see how much ammo it had left.

"Runners." Tess informed Joel and Kathy who came into the room. The infected were below them and it sounded like there were quite a few.

"Me and Kathy'll check it out. Stay with the girl." Joel replied, motioning back for Kathy to stay close to him and they jumped down into the lion's den.

Kathy would like to say that they took the stealthy approach in killing the infected, but to be completely honest they just straight up killed them all with fists of fury and guns ablazing. It was good practice for her and for Joel with his new gun. Even if it was a waste of ammo, Kathy was glad she got to release some pent up stress.

"Alright, it's clear. You can come down now!" Kathy called out to the girls.

Tess whistled as she approached with Ellie, "I'm impressed, Kathy. Didn't know you had that in you."

"There's a lot you don't know about me." Kathy replied curtly, bending down to pick up some ammo that one of the infected had dropped.

"Let's just get outta here." Joel said and it wasn't long until he found a way. He held onto a heavy cabinet on wheels that was blocking the door. As mentioned before, the whole building was on a slant so it took Joel some effort to pull it away, "Alright, Tess, go!"