𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. close for comfort

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER TWENTY TWO -
CLOSE FOR COMFORT

NOT LONG AFTER, they made it to the bottom of the hill, jumping off the high edge and onto the street below. A gunshot went off, the bullet hitting the floor by Joel's foot and they dove for cover behind a rusty SUV. It was a sharpshooter, they'd have to be careful.

"Oh shit. Get down!"

"Fuckin' sniper." Henry cursed, "Did you see where it came from?"

"That house at the end of the street." Kathy pointed out, peeking around the corner of the car. She yanked her head back behind cover when another shot went off.

"Alright now...ya'll stay here -" Joel told them, getting ready to move.

"No." Ellie and Kathy protested in unison.

"Before you two start," Joel cut them off, "I need you guys to keep him busy. I'm gonna go around and see if I can't get the angle on him."

"Okay, hey - Be careful." Ellie said.

"And come back in one piece." Kathy added and he snuck off around the edge of the houses, out of the sniper's line of sight.

While Joel had ventured off to take out the sniper, a group of hunters snuck up behind Kathy, Ellie, Henry and Sam, forcing them out of their hiding spot. They knew Joel had dealt with the sharpshooter when the hunters were being taken out by the sniper instead of them.

More and more hunters came, but they were never overpowered as Joel took out most of them before they could even get close. But they were in real trouble when the armoured truck came rolling down the street with back up. How it had managed to find them was a mystery.

Kathy and the others were pinned behind a car, unable to move anywhere because of the truck which kept gunning in their direction. Joel kept the hunters off the quartet, but the truck was gradually getting closer to them. He needed a window of opportunity to take it out somehow. And as luck would have it, he got one.

A guy poked out of the hatch on the roof of the truck, throwing molotov's in the quartet's direction. Joel aimed the sniper and waited for him to pop his head out again. And when he did, he took the shot.

The hunter cried out in agony as he was hit by the high caliber round, dropping the molotov into the truck as he died and it burst into flames, spinning out of control and crashing into a nearby porch. With no sign of any other hunters, Kathy and the others walked out into the open.

"Shit! Oh that was intense!" Ellie exclaimed, still clutching her gun.

"You alright, Sam?" Henry asked his brother, ruffling his hair playfully.