𝐱𝐢. replacement

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER ELEVEN -
REPLACEMENT

"A'IGHT. WHATEVER SUPPLIES you may want or need, I suggest you grab them." Bill told them, almost on the other side of the diner. The windows were boarded up and there were a few useful bits and bobs scattered around that the could take. This place must have been a short term base for Bill at one point.

"Was going to anyway, but thanks. Ellie, take a look around and see if you can find anything useful." Kathy rolled her eyes, walking behind the counter and picking up some tape and a manual to improve shivs.

The older Williams then moved into the room in the back, Ellie was already there waiting, "Man, he's got a fuckin' stick up his ass."

"Couldn't agree more, kiddo." Kathy chuckled, her eyes surveying the small room they were in. It most likely used to be a back office or staff room for the owners of the diner.

"Just-" Joel sighed as he joined them, "Just stay outta his way."

Once everything useful had been taken and all the notes Bill had left lying around had been read, they were ready to go. But Joel stopped by one of the tables with a chess board on it and made a noise of recognition.

Ellie went to see what was up, "Hey, you know how to play this?"

"Yeah." Joel hummed, "Pretty badly - yeah."

"I always wanted to learn." Ellie went to reach for one of the chess pieces but Bill's voice from the exit of the Diner stopped her.

"Hey, Bobby Fischer! Don't touch anything on that board!"

"Bobby what?!" Ellie retorted, having no clue who that was.

"Just let it go." Joel said and then walked to Bill.

"Seriously though, who?" Ellie whispered to Kathy.

"He was a famous chess player back in the seventies. Your grandad was a big fan of him." Kathy told the teen, patting her shoulder.

"So Bill's fat and old." Ellie mused.

"Found everything you need?" Bill asked them, directing his question mostly at Joel. He'd be damned if he ever really had to acknowledge the kid who almost broke his arm.

"We're good."

Bill unlocked the bolted door, walking through and up a set of stairs that led to an apartment above the diner. Joel beckoned the girls through the door so that he could shut it behind them, making it dramatic after Bill berated him for not shutting it.

"We have to cross to the other building. Up the stairs. Let's move it." Bill instructed from the top of the staircase.

Ellie scoffed at the man, not at all impressed with how he just assumed command of their little group. Though, she supposed, he knew the town best.