𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. another one bites the dust

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER TWENTY THREE -
ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST

KATHY WOKE UP to the smell of beans and peaches, Henry's specialty. Joel was stood by the window, looking out into the fields. She yawned as she sat up, choosing to act like kissing Joel the night before was completely normal. She also chose to forget about her little freak out.

"Mornin' boys." She groaned, stretching her back. Sleeping on the floor had been a little rough.

Joel glanced at her through the corner of his eye, he didn't know how to act around her now. "Mornin'."

"What's cookin', good lookin'?" Kathy teased Henry as she shifted closer to the steaming pot.

"Peaches and beans. Same as last night." Henry smiled as he stirred the pot. He'd noticed Joel's little glare of jealousy when she joked around.

"Yummy." Kathy retorted, standing up and walking over to Joel, "See anythin' out there? Any infected come to ruin this lovely day for us?"

"No. Nothin'." Joel replied. How could she act so natural? Maybe she didn't regret kissing him. So, why had she pulled away last night?

Kathy patted his shoulder affectionately, "That's good. I think today's gonna be a pretty great day for us." She leaned in a little closer to his ear so that Henry couldn't hear her, "Especially if I get another kiss as good as the one we had last night."

Joel's eyes widened in surprise.

"Now, don't get all nervous on me, macho man. I like it. And I certainly know you liked it. I could tell by the way your hand-"

"Alright -" He cut her off, slightly embarrassed, "Alright. I get it. You wanna tell me what you were gonna say last night?"

"Soon. I promise." Kathy smiled, she seemed to be in a much better mood. Somewhat chipper.

"Damn, that smells good." Ellie groaned as she woke up, getting up with little effort.

"Good morning." Joel greeted. Now that he knew Kathy in some way liked him back, he was happier.

"Where's Sam?" The teen asked.

"I let him sleep in for once." Henry replied.

"Oh."

"Well if you want him to join us, you can go wake his ass up." He nodded her off, motioning to the room Sam had been sleeping in.

"Okay." Ellie wiped her hand under her nose, turning on her heel and going through the door. Not even a few seconds later they heard her panicked cries, "Sam? Sam!"

"What the hell?" Joel exclaimed, looking towards the door.

Ellie fell through, Sam straddling on top of her as he tried to claw at her face. He had blisters and spores all over him - he was infected.