𝐢. an unwelcome addition

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER ONE -
AN UNWELCOME ADDITION

KATHY WILLIAMS COULD do a lot of things, but being the perfect role model for her niece wasn't one of them. As the world fell into a permanent state of despair, the brunette became someone she was not proud of. She had killed people who hadn't deserved the welcoming arms of death, she'd tortured and maimed to ensure the ones she cared didn't have to.

When her brother and his wife died, their daughter, Ellie, was left in her hands. She watched that  girl grow up into the little spitfire that she was. Kathy never thought she could care about something as much as she cared for that girl. She did the best she could to raise her in an apocalyptic world, but it wasn't enough in the end. All it had taken was one day. Ellie had snuck off with her friend Riley and came back home alone sobbing with a bite on her forearm. They waited for her to turn, Ellie had been insistent on it, but she never did. Kathy had been surprisingly calm the whole time they waited and Ellie never knew why because her aunt refused to tell her.

Marlene, the queen Firefly and a friend of Ellie's late mother, offered to escort them across the city once she found out Ellie was the key to curing the apocalypse. Ellie had sat through countless brain scans to prove she was well and truly immune with no signs of turning and as promised, Kathy hadn't left her side for one second.

Now, Kathy and Ellie were hold up in a small blocked off cafeteria, waiting for Marlene to return so that they could leave the quarantine zone as soon as possible to avoid the soldiers that lurked on every street. Marlene had assured them that whatever the Firefly doctors did to Ellie during the procedure wouldn't be dangerous, wouldn't risk the young girl's life. That was the only reason Kathy agreed to such a thing. If there was any chance it would hurt her niece in the slightest, the brunette would put a stop to it and let the world continue to wither. Ellie was more important to her than some supposed cure that might not even work. They could find someone else, Ellie wasn't the only person immune in the world, surely.

But if the queen Firefly took any longer, Kathy would leave her behind and take Ellie by herself. She didn't have much trust or patience in people nowadays, even if they were family friends.

"Ellie, get away from the window." Kathy called to her niece from the other side of the room, "Someone could see you and we don't need soldiers asking questions around here. Especially with our situation."

"But Kathy-" Her niece tried to protest.

"No buts, sweetheart, sit down. Marlene will be back soon." The brunette told her, pointing to the desk for her to sit down. Ellie groaned, throwing her head back as she trudged over to the desk, but she stopped mid-step when the door to the office opened and Marlene fell into the room.