𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. i'll be damned

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR -
I'LL BE DAMNED

ELLIE AND JOEL trekked through the overgrown grass, coming up to sign for Jackson county. They were right beside a river, large trees surrounding them from all sides. It was fall now, and growing colder each day that went by. They'd spent a couple weeks just crossing over to the next county, running into the occasional infected, but it was nowhere near as bad as it had been in the city.

"Jackson County." Ellie read the sign, "means we're close to Jackson city, right?"

"Shouldn't be more than a few miles." Joel replied.

"Hey, slow pokes! Hurry it up." A feminine voice called out from up ahead. It was Kathy, standing on top of the hill with her hands on her hips and tapping her foot impatiently. The four week old bite hidden underneath a pair of fingerless gloves. She hadn't turned, they'd waited for it like Ellie wanted and it never happened. She was just like Ellie. The Williams women seemed to be blessed with immunity.

Ellie grinned brightly as she waved to her aunt, she was so fucking glad that Kathy was still alive and kicking. That moment in the radio tower had been the worst time of her life. They caught up to the brunette, Joel pulling her in for a lengthy kiss. They pulled away seconds later, chuckling quietly at Ellie's fake gagging noises.

Kathy booped Joel's nose, "You ready to finally see your dear baby brother?"

"I'm just ready to get there." He replied smiling, going in for another smooch.

Kathy moved away slowly, teasing him as she ran a hand down his chest, "You nervous?"

"I don't know what I'm feeling."

"Welp, so much for this road." Ellie observed the muddy pathyway that had been eroded after many years of landslides, diverting their attention from each other and onto her.

"We just follow the river. It'll lead us straight to Tommy's." Joel said, stepping cautiously down the steep slope so that they were closer to the river's edge. He helped Kathy down the much steeper bits, which Ellie found a bit unfair but also completely adorable.

"What happened between you two?" The auburn teen questioned.

"What do you mean?"

"You and Tommy." She elaborated, "You're not together, so clearly something went down."

"Now this is something that I would also like to know." Kathy added, nodding along.

"We just had a bit of a disagreement, that's all."

"Oh here we go...so what was it about?"

"Tommy saw the world one way. I saw it another."

"And that's why he joined the Fireflies?" Ellie prompted.