𝐢𝐯. newfound respect

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER FOUR -
NEWFOUND RESPECT

"THIS WAY." TESS pointed to the skyscraper in front of them. Part of it had collapsed, resulting in the whole thing leaning against another building like the leaning tower of pisa. "If we cut through through downtown, we can hit the capitol building by sunrise."

"We hope." Joel added, ever the pessimist. Seriously, Kathy might have to slap him if he kept being such a downer.

The quartet went under the fallen bridge and climbed up the part that had fallen down. It was pouring down with rain and Kathy wished that she had a coat with her because she was fucking freezing.

"Holy moley." Ellie gasped when she was helped up the incline by her aunt. "I guess this is what these buildings look like up close. They're so damn tall!"

"They're skyscrapers. Back in the day, people used to work in the offices. There'd be more than a thousand people in them at one time and most of them were dicks." Kathy informed her, reminiscing.

Ellie smile at the new information, "So what happened here?"

"They bombed the hell out of the surrounding areas to the quarantine zones, hoping to kill as much of the infected as possible." Tess answered, "It worked...for a little while."

Thunder bellowed from the dark, cloudy sky, followed by the shrilling cry of screaming infected in the distance.

"Uh, what the hell was that?" Ellie questioned with wide eyes.

"Tess, did you hear that?"

"Yeah. Sounded pretty far away though."

"Fuck, those things are loud." Kathy cursed, her eyes darting around in precaution.

"Are we safe?"

"For now. Come one." Tess replied, jogging up the broken walkway to where it just ended, like a cliff. Ellie and Tess stood right on the edge, looking down at all the destruction.

"Damn, that's quite a drop." The fourteen year old surveyed, making sure she didn't lean too far.

"Well there's the capitol building." Joel commented and they followed his gaze to the right. It was stood proud a long distance away, but easy to spot with the gold roof.

Kathy reminded him, "We need to get around this mess first."

"This was the downtown area?" Ellie asked as she and the two women walked behind Joel, who climbed through a gap and came out the other side next to the fallen skyscraper.

"It was. Now it's a giant wasteland."

"Over here!" Joel told them and they went through the gap as well. He was still a little bit away from them when he asked, "You find anything over there?"