𝐱𝐱𝐱. cold blood

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER THIRTY -
COLD BLOOD

ELLIE SHUT THE garage door behind her and Callus after narrowly escaping a hoard of infected when she had gone out to hunt for food. She'd come across a sketchy man named David, who revealed he was the leader of the hunters that she, Joel and Kathy had been killing for weeks. After the deer she had killed had been traded for medicine, she got the hell outta there.

Joel had moved Kathy's mattress down into the basement where it was a little warmer. With the colder weather and her slightly infected wound, Kathy had been shivering a whole lot, going in and out of consciousness every few hours or so.

When Ellie had made it down to the basement, she almost cooed at the sight before her. Joel was wrapped around Kathy's form, the big spoon if you will, both of them sound asleep. He seemed relaxed for once, but wasn't everyone when they were sleeping next to the person they were in love with?

Joel's eyes opened slowly, hearing her return. He'd always been a light sleeper.

Ellie dropped her backpack on the floor and crouched next to them, "I only managed to get a little bit of food. But...I did get this." She pulled out the bottle of penicillin and a needle.

"Ellie, where'd you get that?" He asked, carefully unwrapping his arms from the brunette and taking the medicine from her.

"It doesn't matter where I got it, all that matters is that it'll make her feel better." Ellie argued, pulling the blanket down so that they could get to the wound. It was inflamed and red, but the bleeding had stopped.

Joel nodded, accepting that she wouldn't give him a real answer and injected Kathy with the medicine. Kathy's face scrunched up and her breathing was heavy. He placed a hand on her forehead to check her temperature and was relieved to see that it had gone down a little. He then laid back down under the blanket and pulled her into his embrace once more. Ellie joined beside them on the floor, her hand interlocked with her mother's under the cover and they slowly fell asleep, one by one.

Kathy woke up alone, she didn't know how long it had been since she fell off that balcony. Joel and Ellie were not in the basement with her and the whole house was way too quiet. She clutched her side as she struggled to stand up. Joel came rushing down the stairs as soon as he heard movement.

"Kathy! You're up!" He exclaimed, holding his arm out for her to clutch onto for balance as she breathed heavily.

"Where's Ellie?" She asked and his face fell.

"Some hunters tracked her back to the town, she went out to try and lose them. But that was hours ago. I was just about to go find her." He replied, helping her up the stairs - he picked up their backpacks on the way.