𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. ellie's got a gun

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER SEVENTEEN -
ELLIE'S GOT A GUN

JOEL WAS TAKING a really long time to get back up to them and Ellie was not one to be patient. She stood there tapping her foot as Kathy paced back and forth along the hallway. They stopped in their places immediately when they heard a clanging coming from the floor below. It meant either two things, Joel was in trouble or they were.

They ran towards the noise, turning the corner to see a man drowning Joel in a deep puddle - it was about the size of a kiddie pool. Joel was struggling, reaching for his pistol below the water, but he couldn't reach it. Ellie moved first, grabbing the pistol and shooting the man in the head before he even knew she was there.

Joel sat up, having a coughing fit staring up at Ellie who was holding the smoking gun. He wasn't going to lie, he thought it had been Kathy. She always seemed to be saving his ass.

Not this time though.

Ellie lowered the gun, she couldn't look away from the man she had just killed. Killing infected was one thing, but a person? There was no going back from that. "Man, I shot the hell outta that guy, huh?"

"Yeah you sure did." Joel replied as he stood up. Kathy had offered a helping hand, but he's shaken her off.

Ellie sat down, trying not to vomit, "I feel sick."

Joel snatched the gun from the teen's hand, "Why didn't you just hang back like I told you to?"

"We were worried about you." Kathy glared, not liking his new tone towards Ellie. "You should be glad that we didn't."

Joel scoffed, "I'm glad I didn't get my head blown off by a goddamn kid."

Ellie stood up angrily, she didn't like his mood either, "You know what? No. How about, hey Ellie. I know it wasn't easy, but it was either him or me, thanks for saving my ass. You got anything like that for me, Joel?"

"We gotta get going." Joel ignored the girl's rant and walked away, which pissed off Kathy even more.

"Lead the way."

"If he carries on like this, I'm gonna hit him over the head with a pipe." Kathy grumbled, still glaring at his back. She couldn't believe how ungrateful he was being towards Ellie. When Kathy had saved his life, she at least got a thanks. Why couldn't he do the same with her niece?

Several minutes later, they were making progress on cutting through the hotel. Joel was still up front, their conversations a lot less fun than they had been that morning.

"We need to get back out. Find that bridge." Joel told them.

"Just tell us where to go, oh mighty leader." Kathy sighed dramatically, dragging her feet slighty.