𝐱𝐯. can't catch a break

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER FIFTEEN -
CAN'T CATCH A BREAK

IT HADN'T BEEN long until Ellie had fallen asleep, leaving the two adults in a silence that held a tad of awkwardness in the air. Ellie's remark from before had hit a nerve they hadn't even realised was there. They had been flirting, the teen was certainly right with that, but it's not like anything could come of it. Joel would deliver the two Williams to the Fireflies and then they'd go their separate ways.

They would never see each other again, so what was the point of starting something that they couldn't go through with?

With that thought, Kathy stayed silent, not wishing to bring up the subject that could make the tension better or worse and Joel didn't bring it up either. He wasn't the kind of man to talk about his feelings.

Joel was the first to break the silence, pulling the truck to a stop when he noticed the highway was blocked off by a cluster of cars. "Oh, no, no, no, no. Well, perfect."

Ellie blinked, yawning as she woke up, "Now what?"

Joel glanced behind out of the back window and then to the empty road on the right that led into the city and he put the truck into first gear, "Screw it."

"We're gonna risk going into the city?" Kathy raised her brows, cities were the most common place to get ambushed. Especially if you had a car. Cars were a resource other people would kill for.

"We got no choice." He replied grimly, driving them into the concrete jungle.

They weren't even driving for long until a man, seemingly hurt, stumbled into the road in front of them, causing Joel to stop the car a distance away.

"Please...help!" The man groaned, clutching his stomach. Kathy and Joel didn't believe the man's act for a second. They knew what was about to happen.

"Holy shit. Are we gonna help him?" Ellie asked, leaning forward to get a better look at the man.

"Put on your seatbelt, Ellie." Kathy told her, bracing herself after Joel nodded at her. She knew they were thinking the same thing.

"But what about the guy?"

"Oh, he ain't even hurt." Joel put his foot down on the gas pedal hard, the truck drove at a speed towards the man, fully intending to run him over.

Seeing that the car wasn't going to stop, the man swore and pulled out his gun to start shooting at them, his buddies popping out of their hiding places to help shoot. The truck plowed into the man, knocking him straight off his feet with an audible thump. A bus came out of nowhere and smashed into the side of the truck, causing it the crash into the side of a small grocery store. Kathy whacked her head against the dashboard, her vision blurring as she fumbled with her seatbelt.