𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. stay with me

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT -
STAY WITH ME

ONCE JOEL HAD joined back up with them, they rode around on Callus for a little longer until they made it to the lab. They scouted for an easy way inside and lucky for them, there was a giant hole in the side of the second story wall that they could get in through. However, it was blocked off by a gate and this time it wasn't electric, it was chained shut.

Ellie tapped Kathy's shoulder and pointed it out, "Hey, what about over there?"

Kathy nodded in agreement, "Yeah, that looks like a way we could get in, but we gotta get through that gate first."

"Already on it." Joel got off the horse and beelined for the wheely bin. He pushed it towards the gate, intending to prop it against it, but it rolled down the hill, ramming the gate open. "Alright, not what I had in mind, but it'll do."

He then grabbed it again and pushed it against a truck parked by the wall so hat they could climb up. Joel went first and reached his hand down for the girls, "Alright we're inside. C'mon kiddo, gimme your hand."

He grunted as he pulled Ellie up and reached back down for Kathy. She grasped tightly onto his hand and jumped, allowing him to yank her up, his hands settling on her hips as she stood up.

"Those macho muscles are starting to grow on me." She smirked, trailing her hand down his arm. He matched her smirk and began to lean in.

"Really, guys? Now?" Ellie groaned, disrupting the moment, which was all she ever seemed to do. "C'mon, we've got some Fireflies to find!"

The whole lab was silent, no Fireflies in sight. Kathy thought that it would have been thriving with Fireflies, but no one was there besides them,

"How will they do it?" Ellie asked as they searched the rooms.

"Do what?" Her aunt asked back.

"Get the cure from me? You think it'll hurt?"

"No, no. Marlene told me they'd take some blood sample and some brain scans. It won't hurt." The brunette assured the girl.

"I've gotten shots before. They vaccinated us at school. It sucked." Ellie replied.

"Yeah, I remember. You came home so pale that day." Kathy reminisced. "Let's hope you got over your fear of needles."

Ellie grimaced as she remembered and then suddenly perked up, her voice echoing along the corridors of the lab, "Yoohoo, Fireflies? Cure for mankind over here! Anyone?"

"Let's keep it down until we figure out what's going on." Joel scolded the teen, his eyes searching around for any hidden threat.

Kathy and Joel caught up to Ellie, who was walking at a slightly faster pace. She was rifling through a box of files, looking for any clues about the Fireflies. Joel picked up a clipboard and looked at it.