𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. as much as i love you

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN -
AS MUCH AS I LOVE YOU

"OKAY, LET ME see if I get this straight. If you mess up your fourth down, then you give the ball to the other team?" Ellie asked over Kathy's shoulder as they rode through the tall brick walls of the University. The journey to Colorado hadn't been easy, they'd had a few run ins with infected and the occasional hunter, but they'd manage to get there in about three days.

Those three days had given Kathy plenty of time to simmer down her anger at Joel and now she wasn't angry at him anymore. Afterall, he'd changed his mind fairly easy about leaving them, she reckoned it was because he really did think of Ellie as his daughter.

That in itself should have enraged her, and she would've been pissed if some hillbilly had come along and acted like they owned her niece. But with Joel, it felt like Ellie had another protector, another person to look out for her. Kathy was glad that Joel had been the one to fill in the role as Ellie's father-figure.

"Right, it's called a turnover." Joel informed the teen.

"And if you clear the ten yards then you're back at...first down?"

Joel nodded, "First down. That's right."

"Man, it's confusing." Ellie sighed just as they passed a big UEC sign.

"You just gotta play it a couple times." The man chuckled, "It'll all make sense."

They rode into the gates of the University, but the building Tommy had described didn't seem to be in sight. Kathy squinted as she looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of their destination, "I don't see building that looks like a mirror."

"Well, we'll head to central grounds. Should be able to see most of the campus from there." Joel replied, stopping the horse in front of what could have been a workshop. It had a workbench and tools littered around and old car frames that university students could tinker on. Joel got off the horse and went inside, "Stay, Callus. What kind of name is Callus anyways?"

"Not our fault you forgot to ask Tommy his name." Kathy grinned, hopping off as well. Ellie stayed on the horse and took the reins, waiting outside by the door.

Joel picked up a flamethrower an sheathed it on his back, it might come in handy. Kathy ventured around, picking up some bits and bobs, anything that could be used to upgrade their weapons, and set to work at improving her shotgun and pistol.

There were some stairs that led to a balcony, but the only thing there had been signs that a Firefly lookout had been there. And who knows how long ago that was. With nothing else to find, they hopped back on Callus and started looking again.

Ellie giggled as Callus jumped over a barricade and then she spotted a banner on the side of one of the walls, "That's a giant ram. You guys were like some idol worshippers."