𝐱𝐯𝐢. a close call

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER SIXTEEN -
A CLOSE CALL

SO IT TURNED out Ellie had found another small way to annoy Joel - with whistling. She'd finally managed to carry a tune. Their banter didn't last long though as they soon ran into more hunters at the military checkpoint, but it wasn't anything they couldn't handle.

Once they were dealt with, Ellie whipped out her trusty joke book and told them some corny jokes that let them enjoy the moment of peace. They cleared through more hunters in the library, taking the more silent approach until they were in the down town area. It was completely flooded and they watched some hunters move above the water by walking across a plank and into what used to be some fancy hotel.

"Alright, I don't think they saw us." Joel breathed out in relief, standing up from his crouched position behind a taxi.

"There's our bridge. We're a little closer." Ellie grinned and then she paused, "I think."

"Let's keep at it. C'mon."

Ellie stopped when she noticed a poster of a woman on one of the walls and she backtracked to get a closer look, "That girl is so skinny. I thought you had plenty of food in your time."

"Oh we did. Some just chose not to eat it." Joel said.

"Why the hell not?" The teen asked.

"Society made women believe that a smaller body was more attractive. They'd rather starve themselves than have some belly fat." Her aunt explained, still staring at the poster. She used to be like that, a long long time ago. It's amazing how your priorities change when the end of the world comes along.

"That's stupid." Ellie scoffed and pulled out her joke book again, "Okay, it's time to lighten the mood. 3.14% of sailors are Pi Rates."

"3.14..." Joel murmered.

"If you can't remember, old man, that's Pi's numerical form." Kathy joked.

"I stayed up all night wondering where the sun went. Then it dawned on me."

Kathy smiled, "That's a dad joke if I ever heard one."

"What did the mermaid wear to her math class?"

"What?"

"An algae bra." Ellie laughed.

"Terrible."

"Why did the scarecrow get a promotion? Because he was outstanding in his field."

"That'll do. Put that thing away."

"Okay..." Ellie sighed, shoving the book in the back pocket of her jeans, "I'm all joked out. Now what?"

Joel surveyed the gap between the crate and the bus peeking out the surface of the water, "I can't make that jump."