𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢. separate ways

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER TWENTY SIX -
SEPARATE WAYS

ELLIE HAD OVERHEARD what Joel had said to Tommy, that he intended to abandon her and Kathy and hand them off to his brother who they didn't even know. She thought her and Kathy meant more to him than just cargo by now, but she must've been wrong. And the look on Kathy's face when she told her what Joel had said, the utter heartbreak that had washed over her aunt's face, Ellie wished to never see it again or ever be the cause of it.

They stole a horse while everyone was busy and Kathy rode them out of the plant and into the forest. They knew they'd get in trouble when they went back to the plant, but they just needed to clear their heads for a little while, think about their next course of action. She clutched tightly onto the leather reins, knuckles turning white as she seethed with anger, all of it directed at the man she thought cared for her. How could she have been so reckless? It had always been her and Ellie, that's how they got by before and as soon as she let a man into her heart, he was going to abandon them. She'd never trust anyone that easily again.

She pulled the horse to a stop in front of a large farm house, or maybe it was a ranch, and it still looked pretty intact. She swung her leg over and jumped off the horse, helping Ellie down after her and they went inside. It wouldn't be too long until someone noticed a horse was missing - and them of course. Kathy was sure Joel would catch up with them soon and when he did, if he tried to chastise them, she would give him a piece of her mind.

Ellie went straight up the stairs, she hadn't said anything since she told Kathy what Joel had said and Kathy followed behind her. They sat on the windowsill seat of a teenage girl's bedroom, Ellie had found an old tatty diary and began to read it. It hadn't even been ten minutes until they heard Joel's voice downstairs.

"Kathy? Ellie?!"

"We're up here!" Ellie sighed, she was hoping to be alone for a few more minutes.

Joel pushed the door open, peeking his head through and scoffing slightly when he spotted them by the window, the diary in Ellie's hands.

"Is this really what they had to worry about?" Ellie asked Joel as she looked through the small book. "Boys? Movies? Deciding which shirt goes with which skirt? It's bizarre."

"Get up, we're leaving. C'mon." Joel told them.

"And if we say no?" Kathy asked, standing up slowly as she looked at him.

"Do you even realise what your lives mean? Huh?" Joel replied with furrowed brows. "Runnin' off like that. Putting yourselves at risk...it's pretty goddamn stupid."

"Well, I guess we're all disappointed with each other then." Ellie retorted.

Joel approached them, "What do you want from me?"