𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. something to fight for

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR -
SOMETHING TO FIGHT FOR

THEY DROVE IN silence, their minds in a chaotic mess, thinking about what could've and should've been done. Maybe there was another way, maybe Kathy hadn't needed to kill Marlene.

Her thoughts were bristling with guilt - Marlene had been her friend, she'd killed her friend. But the queen Firefly had betrayed that friendship, she was going to kill Ellie. Kathy felt guilty, but she didn't regret it. Her baby girl was safe now and that was all that mattered.

Kathy and Joel glanced to the backseats when they heard Ellie wake up. The girl rubbed her eyes, looking at her hospital gown in confusion, "What the hell am I wearing?"

"Just take it easy...drugs are still wearing off." Joel told her softly, looking back to the road.

"What happened?"

"We found the Fireflies, kiddo." Kathy sighed in disappointment. "Turns out, there's a whole lot more like us, Ellie. People that are immune."

"It's dozens actually. Ain't done a damn bit of good neither." Joel added. "They've actually - They've stopped looking for a cure. I'm taking us home. I'm sorry."

Ellie stayed quiet, turning onto her side and facing away from them, hiding her upset. Her whole purpose had been to find the Fireflies and save the world, but all that effort and travelling - Tess' death had been for nothing.

About several hours and a change of clothes later, the truck started to sputter and the engine was smoking under the bonnet, Joel pulled it to a stop and got out to survey the damage. After a thorough look, he sighed in defeat and put the hood back down, "Looks like we're walking."

Ellie, who had been tracing her scar, hopped out of the car and shut the door. Kathy followed, shutting the passenger's side and jogging slightly to catch up with her lover.

Another thing that had taken over her thoughts - when would she get the guts to tell him that she loved him. The whole Firefly mess was over now, this moment would be the most opportune tie to do it.

Joel approached some short fences with barbed wire. "It should be a straight shot through here." He told them, prying open the wire with his foot so that the girls could get through. "Actually kinda pretty, ain't it?"

"Yeah." Ellie chuckled in agreement, ducking through the larger gap he had made.

He still held it open for Kathy, "Alright, watch your head going through."

The brunette successfully got to the other side without a scratch and she pecked his lips over the fence, "Thanks, princess."

"When are you gonna stop calling me that?" He smiled as she took over the job of holding the fence open so that he could get through.

She let go dramatically when he made it and looped her arms around his neck, leaning up towards his ear, "Until you stop getting into trouble, which will never happen."

"Oh I'll show you trouble." He grinned, wrapping his arms around her waist and dipping her. She giggled, a sound she had never heard fall from her own lips and his eyes gleamed with amusement and love. He kissed her again right then and there, for a much longer time then the one over the fence. Ellie watched from a little distance away with small smile on her lips. He mother was happy, really happy and she was glad that Joel had been the one to make her that way.

He helped Kathy stand up right, pulling away from her face until their noses were just touching. "I love you." He whispered, resting his forehead on hers.

"I love you too, Joel. So much." She said back, looking deep into his eyes, showing him that she meant it with every part of her heart.

Ellie cooed loudly, "Aww, you guys are so fucking cute."

Kathy and Joel chuckled, pulling away from each other. They walked hand in hand through the woods with Ellie walking behind them. Many colourful flowers grew around then and large trees loomed over from above, it was breathtaking - peaceful.

"Don't think I ever told you this but Sarah and I used to take hikes like this." Joel revealed as they walked and Kathy and Ellie were listening to every word. He looked back at Ellie, "I think uh...I think the two of you would've been great friends. Think you really woulda liked her. I know she woulda liked you."

"I bet I would." Ellie smiled.

They climbed up a few steep edges until they were on the edge of the hill overlooking Jackson, Tommy's town. Kathy called Ellie over, "Ellie, look down there." She nodded over to the houses at the bottom of the hill and the teen gasped at the view.

They began to walk down the hill towards the town, "Just a little bit further now." Joel said and then jumped up a steep edge with the help of a log. He then helped up Kathy and they waited for her daughter.

Ellie clambered onto the log and looked up at them. Joel lowered down a hand for her to grab, "Here, I got you." She jumped and he pulled her up with ease, "Alright, come on."

Ellie stayed where she was, "Hey, wait." Joel and Kathy turned around and waited for her to continue what she wanted to say. Ellie let out a large breath, "Back in Boston - Back when I was bitten. I wasn't alone. My best friend was there and she got bit too. We didn't know what to do. So...she says 'Let's just wait it out. Y'know, we can be all poetic and just lose our minds together.' I'm still waiting for my turn."

Kathy knew about that, but she hadn't known about that last bit.

"Ellie-" Kathy began, but she cut her off.

"Her name was Riley and she was the first to die. And then it was Tess. And then Sam. And then almost my mom."

"None of that is on you." Joel told her.

"No, you don't understand." Ellie groaned in frustration.

"I struggled for a long time with survivin'. And you- No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for. Now, I know that's not what you want to hear right now, but it's-"

She cut Joel off again, "Swear to me. Swear to me that everything you said about the Fireflies is true." She looked between the two adults, looking for any lies they might be about to tell.

"I swear." Joel said, looking the girl in the eye.

Ellie turned to her mother who nodded softly. The teen's eyes glistened with doubt, but she trusted them wholeheartedly. "Okay."

(A/N And that's a wrap on part one! See you soon with part two xxx)

IT'S NO SURPRISE TO ME, I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY