𝐱𝐢𝐢. the truck

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER TWELVE -
THE TRUCK

AFTER BILL HAD so generously gifted Kathy and Joel some nail bombs of his design and a couple of fully loaded shotguns, they were ready to venture out.

"So we got shotguns and bombs, what the hell we doin'?"

"Well every few weeks a military van rides through town. I assume they're looking for supplies. You'd be amazed at the shit they overlook." Bill explained, "Anyway, few months back they were rolling through and they get overrun by this horde of infected. They were all over the truck. It plows right into the side of the highschool. Still sitting there with the battery in it."

Kathy caught on to what he was suggesting, "So we take that battery and put it in another car."

"Bingo. I wanted to get it, but it seemed too dangerous with all the infected on that part of town. But fuck it...Joel needs a car."

"What if it's damaged?" Joel asked.

"Nah." Bill denied, "Those trucks are like tanks. It's just sittin' there."

"Enough idle chit chat." Kathy told them, "We ready to go or what?"

"The sooner we leave, the sooner you fuckers can leave my town." Bill agreed, making a move for the stairs. "Kid, I swear to god...if you took anything-"

"Hey, man. I don't need any of your shit. Trust me." Ellie retorted, and Kathy smiled. Just because she said she didn't need anything, didn't mean she didn't want anything. Kathy was certain Ellie had taken something just to spite the man.

"Joel, you are keeping an eye on her, right?"

"Like a hawk."

Up the stairs was the main chapel, benches were pushed against the walls, making it much more spacious. The afternoon sun filtered in through the stained glass windows, casting different colours against the tattered walls and worn wooden flooring.

"Nice place." Kathy whistled, spinning around on her feet to look around.

"Well if you got anything to confess, this'd be the place to do it." Bill said from the end of the alter. Joel walked into a room of the side, "That's not the confessional booth, that's my room."

"Alright, I'm not touching anything. Just..." Joel called back and proceeded to take things from beside Bill's mattress - a note and some alcohol. Kathy let out a small chuckle when he gave her what she recognised as a mischievous smirk. They went back to Bill, pretending that they hadn't just stolen from him.

"Time to sack up." Bill voiced, opening the window behind him and jumping out of it.

"Ellie, out you come." Kathy helped her niece out onto the roof, where they could see the sun setting over the highschool across town.