Chapter 29: Humiliation

I stood there. Outside of school, contemplating on what I should do next. I was strongly leaning towards sprinting in the other direction, but my feet were plastered to the ground. I stared at it and I think I was stood their for a minimum of seven minutes.

"You're going to have to move, you know" Eliza said in my ear. She was stood besides me, but I'm pretty sure she was a few seconds away from going in. And I was right. "Look, I want to be here for your existential crisis. But I need to go to history and explain to her why I didn't do the homework" she said, fixing my hair slightly and walking off. I rolled my eyes, of course she would find any reason to not do her homework.

"You've been so unhelpful today" I called behind her, realising that it was probably the worst comeback ever.

"You must be really contemplating this, I've never seen you go without sarcasm for so long" Levi said. He was also stood besides me, he told me he would be there for me for every step of the way, and that was exactly what he was doing.

"Hilarious" I replied sarcastically, just to prove that I was completely fine but even that was weak.

I stood there for another moment before the school bell rang, I could hear it from out here, and I knew immediately that I should do something. So I did. I grabbed Levi's hand and despite him being shocked, he continued to lead me through the school door. I realised that I was being stupid, why should anybody actually care about who I was going out with, even if it was the supposed 'hottest guy in school'. I shouldn't matter to anybody but me. As somebody who believes so much about empowerment, I really should not care about what other people thought of me, I never had. And I shouldn't start now.

But when we did actually go through the doors, everything was how I expected it to be. Whilst most schools probably ran on electricity, ours was powered by gossip. Any new type of gossip was the talk of the schools, ranging from the freshmen to the teachers. As soon as Levi and I were in the sights of students and teachers, whispers erupted around the hallway. I couldn't distinctly hear what they were all saying but it would be naive to think that they were talking about anybody but us.

I felt my grip loosen in Levi's hand, but whilst mine loosened his tightened. He looked down at me and smiled encouragingly whispering "they'll get over it soon" in my ear. I nodded, walking towards the end of the hall, my palms still in his, him trailing behind me. I first went to the nurse's office, Levi accompanying me.

I walked in, taking in the familiar smell of latex gloves, before Nurse Addie made eye contact with me. "Hi Nurse Addie" I greeted.

"Hi sweetheart. Are you here for you medication?" She asked politely.

Nope, just here chat, minutes before class starts.

Instead I nodded, "Yes please, I forgot to have some at home, I'm sorry"

"No need to apologise sweetheart, and Levi you too?" She turned to Levi as my eyes widened.

He nodded.

When she turned around to the medicine cabinet I turned to Levi "you need to take pills too?"

He smiled "surprise book girl"

"You didn't tell me" I stated

He chuckled "I did, on the roof, you just forgot"

"That's why you didn't have alcohol" I whispered, more to myself than him but obviously he heard me.

"That, and you do not want to see me drunk" he smirked. "Plus, if I drank the doctors would be on my ass"

"I've never been drunk before" I shrugged