4 | Opening Night

Skye M. Delaney

It was the opening tonight. It was tonight we were going to present all our hard work. Okay, the play was horribly directed and I wasn't really sure, what the hell it was about, but I was excited anyway. Tonight was the night we were going to humiliate ourselves in front of an audience, and I was hyped. Though I had already secretly talked to some of the others who also disagreed with Anthony's 'directing' - or as he would put it 'vision'- and we had made some last minute changes. I knew Anthony would be furious afterwards, but then again, there wasn't much he could do about it.

I humped around in the changing room, trying to get my neon green trousers on which seemed to be downright impossible. Did they shrink in the wash or something? After quite a bit of struggling I finally got my pants over my arse, and I tugged on my oversize jersey on, though I had no idea what team I supported and went to do my make-up. I caked it on, too dark foundation, silver eyeshadow, enhanced by more mascara and eyeliner than there should be legal. I picked up a bronzer and contoured my face like crazy, and on top of that I added almost a clown-like amount of blush. In the end I applied a light pink lipstick to my lips. I looked like a slut gone terribly wrong. Quickly I finished up, taking one last look in the mirror to make sure my curly red hair and makeup was as clown-like, without being totally clown-like, as it possibly could be - Anthony's orders. Then I went to join the others.

The girl, who played my best friend and secret lesbian lover - in the play just for the record, I unlike many of my friends was unwaveringly straight - came over to me. She had soft brown eyes and wild curly hair in the colour of dark chocolate. A delicate sweet face, with a cute beauty mark at the corner of her eye, glanced up at me. Unlike me, she had escaped the heavy duty make up - no idea why though. Maybe, because she unlike most people was basically just very kind person, not just towards a chosen few, but to everyone - even Anthony! I had no idea how she did it, maybe she smoked too much weed, making her incredibly chill all the time. But it couldn't be... She was way too... Well... Awake to be stoned right now. Her name was Maggie Marmont.

"So you ready?" she asked while trying to tug her own ridicules costume into some kind of order. It was even worse than my own, she too was wearing a jersey, but she had a ballet skirt on as a bottom. Bloody ridicules, I strangled an urge to rip off Anthony's stupid head.

"As ready as anyone can be to humiliate themselves, yeah", I told her, shaking my head and then added toward her cloths, "It's not gonna get any better, Mag."

She sighed and gave up her efforts. Then we all stood shifting from one foot to the other until everyone had settled in their seats, and we both walked upon the stage. Let the madness commence.

Jamie C. Bower

I settled in the seat and looked upon the stage where I myself had acted in my younger years - that made me sound like I was 70 years old, I'm not I swear! We sat in the front rows with a perfect view upon the stage, only one line in front of us where no one seemed to want to sit.

The place was rundown, the dark red wallpaper cracked around the corners, long razor like lines zigzag along the wooden planks on the floor, as if a million cat's had suddenly decided to sharpen their claws on it. The chairs were placed disorderly in the room making it rather hard it find our seats. But even though the place looked like it was in need of a serious renovation, it held the magical energy of the actors who had run through here over the years.

"Maggie said the storyline sucked balls, but the acting is great", Tristan informed as he pulled of his jacket spastically, almost hitting me and several other people in the head in the process.