8 | Uncooperative Deadweight

Skye Delaney

We were walking up the stairs to some rather fancy flat. Okay, it weren't exactly fancy it was just not about to crumble like ours, which made it fancy in our eyes. The stairs did not squeak under our feet, and as I walked into the house which was filled with people, I determined that most - if not all - of the inventory in the house was new. The oldest thing in there seemed to be some chair in the corner of the hallway; it looked like it had come out of a renaissance fair.

People in the living room were jumping up and down to music; it was rock or something I could not really determine. It definitely wasn't pop. Then Maggie showed up in my ray of vision, to inches from my face.

"OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS CAME?!" She yelled - the music was rather loud - and she was back shit drunk. Jane had already disappeared into the crowd of people; she always went head first into a party which did not always end well. The skin tight dress she was wearing just proved my point, she was here to get laid, nothing else and by the looks of it she had plenty of potential to choose from. Brad was coming up the stairs behind me, he looked like he was about to fall over with exhaustion. He was still holding on to the banister crouching over too catch his breath, hiving in and out as slowly as he could.

"SURE WE DID! ANY EXCUSE TO PARTY!" I replied loudly trying to shout over the music. Maggie smiled at me and her smiled widen as she saw Brad.

"YOU ALL RIGHT THERE BRAD?" she asked him shouting even lauder. He gave her pathetic thumbs up, as he slowly got up and walked over to us. We all walked between the bouncing human beings, trying to navigate towards the bar. This was rather difficult I might add as we were pushed left and right by something that seemed like a 1000 different shoulders, but somehow we managed to get there somewhat safely. I would probably have a bruise or two in the morning.

"Two scotch please", I hollowed at the bartender, as Maggie already had a drink in her hand. We got the drinks; Brad shared my love of the golden liquor. Then we all turned to look at the dancing people, Brad in the middle of me and Maggie.

"You see the guy over there?" Maggie whispered from the other side of Brad, leaning in. She was pointing vaguely at a guy standing off to the side by himself. He had short brown hair and was wearing a button down white shirt and blue jeans.

"Yeah, what about him?" Brad asked in a low voice or as low as he could make it under the circumstances.

"He's kind of cute, right?" she asked, we both turned to look at her.

"Do you even know him or are you just talking about his looks?" I asked reaching over Brad to nudging her shoulder. She was almost already stepping on her feet in embracement.

"His name is Dan", she said, I could imagine she was blushing, but the darkness and the flare from the disco lights hid it well.

"He's in the band, right?" Brad asked curiously, I looked up at him, surprised he did actually talk to people then, how else could he possibly know that Dan was in the band?

"Yeah, he is", she said nodding and looking down as if her shoes were suddenly very interesting. She was wearing blue stilettos, just for the record. Then the light went up for me.

"You like him!" I exclaimed "go talk to him, Maggie!" I yanked in her arm trying to get her to move towards him.

"NO! What the hell am I supposed to say?!" she squeaked, trying to pull back near the bar. At first I was winning, but she slowly got closer to the bar as the struggle went on.

"Anything! The weather! The traffic! I don't know!" I said, I was slowly getting her towards the guy again. Brad was just drinking by the bar, looking at us as if we were at poor interest of his. He wasn't one for physical contact, much less a hauling combat.