6 | Dip Cans

Skye Delaney

As the days passed by, I couldn't stop thinking of that guy Jamie. Yes, he had shouted at me for no apparent reason, but I don't think his shouting was directed at me, not really. It was just me that had heard it. I knew he had lost his girlfriend, he had told me that was the reason for his drinking and it was probably also why he suddenly started yelling at me. But I had no idea; his break up must have been terrible. In general breaking up was really bad, but once in a while it was absolutely horrible. Something had happened between him and his girlfriend that weren't just the normal growing apart routine; it had to be something that really hurt, like cheating, lying or dishonesty. Maybe, she even found someone else, while she was still with him, combining all of it and making it all that worse.

Right now I had just gotten out from an audition for another play; it was called "Les Miserables" or "Les Mis" in the common tongue. I had no idea if I got in or not. I didn't even know if the audition had gone that well.

I paced down the street looking at my phone. Yesterday I had found out that Maggie knew that Jamie fellow - or her brother did - so I could get in contact with him if I wanted, but I had no reason to. I wasn't even sure if I actually wanted to, I didn't even know the guy. All the same he face kept creeping up in my mind, his long blond hair and blue eyes. He had the kind of face you remembered; there was somehow something uncommon or original about it. I just couldn't put my finger on what it was.

I decided to call Brad and tell him to come pick me up. He somehow had enough money to have a car and he usually didn't mind coming at picking me up, especially seeing that I was at the other end of town. Plus essentially it was one of the only times he left the house. He didn't pick up his phone, until I was just about to hang up.

"What do you want, Scarlett?" he said irritably, he was probably playing some game that could not easily be paused. He also was the only one I knew that insisted on calling me Scarlett, instead of Skye. Scarlett was of course the name I was born with; I had thrown it in the bin as soon as I got coherent thoughts.

"I was wondering if you would mind picking me up?" I said in my sweetest voice. He sighed loudly, I could wrap him around my little finger - okay no I couldn't, he just didn't mind picking me up, if I was a long way from home.

"Where are you?" he said trying to decide whether or not he would bother to get off his arse.

"The Queens theatre" I told him sweetly. He sighed once more and I knew I had won.

"I'll come get you. Stay put." He obliged.

"Thank you, Brad! You are my saviour!"

"I know", he said cockily, "See ya soon."

"Au revoir!"

Then we both hung up. I walked out to the curb and sat down; I wasn't that long from the theatre, so if he didn't notice me, he was blind. After what seemed to me like forever he finally pulled up beside me and opened the door, reaching over the passenger seat. I got in and slammed it after me, sighing.

"So did you get it?" he asked as he always did, when he saw me after an audition.

"Just a matter of time", I answered as I always did, we had a routine. The car jolted forward and continued down the street.

"How many auditions have you been to?" He asked as he made a left turn..

"Dear god, don't ask, way too many!" I said theatrically. Brad laughed at my tirade. In the last week after having been fired from Anthony's stupid play, I had gone between two things. The first one being my job, going to auditions daily and learning new scripts. The second was going to pubs at night with my friends. Right now that was my life - yah well that and then the repeatedly failed attempt to go to the gym more than once a week. But I did manage to do it! Once a week!