Chapter 28

Jake:

The way she captivates me is something else.

Her beauty is spellbinding.

We just work, like fireworks on New Year's.

I lift her, and she chuckles softly, that adorable smile still on her face. 

She places her hands gently on my face as she draws herself closer.

She takes my shirt off, and I hold her close, guiding us both to the couch.

At that moment, I want to give her an escape from this fucked up reality.

I kiss her intensely and I feel like we are the only people in the world. Fice is gone, all existing problems just vanished.

I lay on top of her and start to kiss her neck very softly. I trail my kisses down to her collarbone then I move our positions so that we're lying down next to each other on our sides. I feel my nerves shooting through my veins when I hear someone trying to open the front door.

Beth and I both jump up.

Briley and Max enter and look at us like they just witnessed a murder.

"We um," Briley attempts to say but stops.

"Did we...interrupt anything?" Max asks and looks awkwardly at Briley.

Bethany's cheeks are glowing and it's so cute.

Briley does not look impressed at all. Her hair is all over the place and she looks traumatized, to say the least. What happened?

"Max, why don't we go upstairs and watch a movie?" Briley says with a sad expression on her face. 

Max and Briley walk upstairs and I can hear a car park.

"Something feels very off, let me go and talk to her," Beth says and walks off.

I walk to the kitchen and start to pour in drinks as Beth's mom enters the house. I can see the sweat on her face as she greets me.

"Beth and Briley are upstairs," I answer her.

"What a day. I hate Fice with every bone in my body," she exhales.

"Tell me about it," I sigh. "What happened?"

"When I got to the police station, the cops were already on their way to Briley. Fice had tied poor Briley up to a tree. Why are all the bad things happening to my angel? Am I not protecting her as I should? What am I doing wrong?" she says with a shaky voice.

"Everything will be okay. Once we reveal who Fice is, this nightmare will be over. We can't protect them any more than we already are. It's not our fault when bad things happen," I say assuring her. She pulls me into a hug and says, "I just wish their father was here to help. He would've known what to do. He would've loved to see his two daughters together."

I grab the drinks and say, "I can almost promise you that he looks at you from Heaven."

Bethany:

I open Briley's door and when she sees me she gets up and shuts the door right in my face.

Mom comes from behind me and enters her room, leaving me on the other side with a stunned face.

"Briley you're the bravest girl I know, come here baby," Mom says outside the door and I can hear them stepping into a hug. 

"Life is so unfair, I barely recover from being kidnapped by Roger, then I almost get murdered by Bethany's stalker all while she can have fun with Jake oblivious of her twin being traumatized once again," Briley says and I open her door again. She crosses her arms.