Chapter 12: Final Boss (Part 1) (Edited)

Spring has come and winter has ended...at other times, that phrase is supposed to be a good thing! It supposed to represent new life, growth and all that mess but for this year? It...doesn't mean that exactly. The time of war has finally arrived and I'm nervous as hell! Though, when I talked about it months back, it seemed as if it were nothing! You simply get rid of the opposing side and then you're done in a jiffy but now? Now that the day to truly risk my life is here...I'm not ready but, then again, who else is going to lead everyone to battle? Ares? Torin? Sure, they could do it but...I refused to sit in my cabin like a scarred kitten. I had to go out and face the enemy with my own two eyes.

"God...and here I thought waking up for school was tough." I thought as I rolled out of my bed and got ready for the day.

I brushed out my hair, put it up into the same ol' braid I did when I first became human...made sure I looked decent. I did everything I would do for a normal day in Balerion, accept...my reason was a little bit darker. Though it was bad for me to think negative, I at least wanted to look good if I truly died on the battlefield.

'Young spirit...' My collar suddenly vibrated, a chuckle leaving me as I went downstairs to grab my sword.

"What is it?"

'You're nervous.'

"Oh really?" I said.

"To be honest, I was going for the whole 'Fearless Heroine' vibe." I joked, causing Ibis to let out a hiss.

'This isn't the time to joke-'

"It's never the time to joke with you." I laughed, Ibis once again letting out a hiss before she eventually sighed.

'I am serious young spirit...you aren't preparing to fight a lowly monster; you are preparing to possibly fight someone who has been training far longer than you have.' She said as I finally reached downstairs and grabbed my sword.

My claymore...a sword that had a dragon carved into the blade and was enchanted to match my fire powers as well. This was the blade I was prepared to use in battle and possibly die with in battle.

"Stop worrying so much Ibis, you're making me nervous." I sighed as I continued to move around my house and towards Deimosa's room, a fairly medium-sized room that had water, jewels littering it and food stocked for days!

'I cannot help but worry for you, you are my champion and it shall be hard to get another.' She hooted before I rolled my eyes.

"I've managed to survive this world for an entire year Ibis! I've gone through hell to get where I am now, I'm not letting an unknown rando with an ego kill me." I huffed as I reached Deimosa's room, the sudden sight of the door opening causing her to let out a small screech before she realized it was me.

I grinned at her and extended my arm, causing her to quickly fly towards it before she decided to perch herself on my arm. I didn't exactly have a reason to bring Deimosa, after all, at her age she was only really good at flying for a short while and didn't know how to use her attacks yet! But...it was comforting to have her around at least, she was playful and responded to everything as if she were a human herself! Besides...I didn't know, maybe she could try to help out in battle somewhat. Ibis, however, wasn't done talking to me.

'Even still! You must be careful; I don't wish to lose my champion.' She continued to cry out, her words nothing but air as I walked towards the door but...not before Ibis could suddenly let out a loud screech that made Deimosa cry out and I hiss in pain.

"Calm down! What's your problem!?" I shouted as Deimosa started to fly around screeching, causing me to let out an annoyed sigh before I wasted even more time trying to catch and calm her down.

'Nothing is wrong with me.' Ibis hissed.

"Clearly there is! You've been pestering me ever since I woke up, I'm trying to go out there so I can go ahead and get this day over with!"

'And I'm trying to show to you that I care.' Ibis said suddenly, my eyes widening a little as I stopped where I was.

Now I know this day was going to be a strange one...for a moment there, I thought the bird said she actually cared about me which couldn't have been true! Though there were many times where I thought we were possibly friends, the other times where she continued to keep it professional and business-like always told me otherwise.

The Owl was considered a god within this world and if I knew anything about fantasy gods, it was that they never really cared. They say and act like they care only to hurt your feelings in the long run.

I was far from being stupid.

"Nice try Ibis-"

'I am serious.' She interrupted with a small sigh.

'My cham- No...Eos.'

My name...after all this time, this is- this is the first time I've ever heard my name come out of her.

'Eos...our relationship does not have such a happy beginning but...that does not change that I truly do care for you. My wishes for you to not die exceed you simply being my champion, you-you are my...friend in a way.' Ibis hooted before I felt my collar start to warm up, the warm welcoming and happy before...it finally stopped, leaving Ibis right in front of me.

"...It is strange." Ibis sighed as she extended a wing towards me and patted my arm with a small coo.

"I remember when you first arrived to this world...young and naïve of the world you had been reborn into." She said, her voice a whisper as it sounded almost...motherly.

"Now? You are strong and prepared for anything...but, there are times that I wish you hadn't grown up this way." I smiled lightly and kneeled down a little, her head tilting a little as she let out another coo.

"I'll be fine Ibis." I grinned as I quickly wrapped my arms around her in a hug, causing her body to go rigid for a moment before she sighed and hugged me back.

"Of course." She whispered.

"I just...I just wanted to let you know that-"

"Love ya too Ibis." I chuckled, a tear accidentally falling from my eye as my hug got even tighter.

I felt that it was rude of me to say that a bird was like my mother but, after all, no one could ever replace the one I once had...but Ibis? Though she was stricter than strict, looked down upon others at times and had an ego bigger than anything.

She was still the closest thing I had to a mom at times...our relationship started off rocky but it got better! Now? I could see that she was caring, kind and had genuine concern for me. To me? That sounded like a mom and I was proud to finally say that I was her champion.

"Now," Ibis said as she pulled away and ruffled her feathers with a small sniffle and a sigh, Deimosa finally perching herself back on my shoulder.

"Go, go and bring honor to not only your village and me but ultimately yourself." Ibis hooted before she suddenly dissipated and went back into my collar, a sudden burst of courage and pride filling me as I quickly got up, dusted myself off and walked out of my cabin.