REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 2.

The sunlight streaming through her kitchen windows gave Buffy a sense of warmth and freshness

The sunlight streaming through her kitchen windows gave Buffy a sense of warmth and freshness. Almost enough to wash away the horrifying dream that had gripped her in the middle of the night.

Though nothing could fully remove the nightmare's vivid images. Kissing Angel, thinking he had regained his soul, only to discover that she had lost her own, joining him as a vampire and devouring her best friends.

At least here, in the bright morning light, she could escape the terror of her life for a few moments. Hidden away from vampires by the sun's protective rays. Secreted in her home with her mother, who remained blissfully ignorant of her frightening night life. This was her refuge, with the one person in her life who had no connection whatsoever with vampires. And Buffy meant to keep it that way.

Her mother, Joyce, entered the room. She shared the same blonde hair as her daughter, though her own held thick curls, and her face had started to show a few wrinkles from age and a difficult divorce. "Buffy, you're up," she said, her voice light and airy.

"Hi, Mom," Buffy said, enjoying her brief respite of normalcy.

"You hungry?" Joyce asked, striding toward the cupboard. "Want some waffles?"

"Yeah," Buffy said, feeling herself relax. "I'd love some."

"Great," Joyce said, opening the refrigerator icebox. She set the box of frozen waffles on the counter and pulled two waffles from the plastic bag inside. "Boy, that was some nightmare you had last night."

Buffy felt her heart drop. She stiffened, staring at her mother. "... What?"

Joyce dropped the waffles into the toaster. "Well, I heard you screaming from down the hall. I wanted to come see if you were all right, but – I'm trying to give you space. I figured if you wanted to talk to me about it, you would."

Buffy continued to stare at her mother as she pressed the toaster switch down. Sometimes she wanted so badly to tell her what was happening. What threatened her life every day. But that would mean ushering that same threat into her mother's life. Bye-bye, normalcy. And maybe bye-bye, Mom. She forced a smile and shook her head. "It was just a bad dream. No biggie."

Joyce turned to face her. "Was it?"

Buffy swallowed quietly.

Joyce hung her head. "Look. I'm not trying to pry. I just – I know something's bothering you. I can only guess what it might be. Worrying about your friends, your grades. Still brooding over that boy, Angel?"

Buffy felt herself flinch. She lowered her chin.

Joyce sighed. "I know you just got over that sickness, but you seem so distant these last few months. I can't remember the last time I saw you smile."

Buffy met her mother's eyes. "I'm fine, Mom."

The toaster clicked loudly and both women gasped.

Joyce sighed, still clutching her throat. "Am I supposed to just take your word for it?" She narrowed her eyes as Buffy remained silent. "Are you being bullied at school?"

Buffy stiffened again. "No, Mom. Nobody at school's bothering me."

Joyce retrieved the waffles and took a plate down from the cupboard. "And that older boy, Angel. The one who started stalking you? He's no longer around, is he?"

Buffy pressed her fingers against the island counter, lifting her head as high as she could to manufacture a convincing smile. "No. Angel's completely gone."

Joyce gathered the margarine from the refrigerator and a knife to spread it. "You seem like you're always on the defensive. I don't mean that you're snapping at anyone. You just seem like you're – afraid. You hardly say a word. You creep in and out of rooms like something's going to jump out at you. Buffy. Is everything okay?"

Buffy straightened her shoulders. "It will be. I just – can we not talk about it?"

Joyce busied herself with spreading the margarine enough to let it melt. "If you're still sulking over Angel, believe me, there are nicer boys out there for you. Boys your own age, who won't go off the deep end when things get a little complicated. Trust me, losing Angel won't be the end of the world."

Buffy made herself relax, easing her elbows onto the counter and trying to look casual. "You're probably right."

Joyce nodded, as if concluding the discussion, then turned to grab the syrup from the cabinet. "So let's get your mind off it. How about you and me, Popcorn and Movie Night tonight?"

Buffy frowned. "I can't. I have – a lot going on."

Joyce shrugged, setting the syrup down and lifting her palms in compromise. "Okay. How about tomorrow night?"

Buffy felt backed into a corner. "... There's a lot going on every night."

Joyce pressed her lips together, giving up. "Fine. I'll give you space," she said. Then she pointed a finger at Buffy. "But not forever. You can duck me for a few nights, but not all weekend. Pick whatever night you want, but we are going to spend time together." She sighed, smiling. "I'm sorry if I'm being a sentimental mother hen, but – I miss you, Buffy. And I miss you being yourself. I want the old Buffy back."

Buffy took her cue, throwing her hair back and creating a carefree smile. "Okay, done. See? A brighter, happier me. This talk has done me good."

Joyce threw her a stern gaze

Joyce threw her a stern gaze. "Nice try. Not buying it. Popcorn and Movie Night. Or whatever you want to do. You pick a night, or I'll pick one. And sooner or later, you and I are going to talk about whatever's bothering you." She set a fork on the plate and slid it toward Buffy, letting it scrape across the island counter between them. "Waffles are ready."

Buffy bit her lip. "Thanks, Mom."

Joyce lifted her hands, as if saying it was no big deal. As if giving up on their morning talk.

Buffy fingered the fork and cut off a piece of waffle, stabbing lazily at it and stuffing it into her mouth.

This does not bode well, she thought. Very bad boding.