REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 52.

Oz burst through the doors of the Sunnydale High School library with a burlap bag over his shoulder. He and Mrs. Leóne held the doors open for Marceau, Pierre and Mister Leóne who came rushing in, each carrying a chainsaw and a coil of extension cord over his shoulder. Oz and Mrs. Leóne ran to the far end of the library with them as Giles, Ethan, and Cordelia gaped.

"What's all this?" Giles asked.

"Hard to explain," Oz said, as he and Mrs. Leóne each unloaded a bag of sharpened dowel rods on the table, while she also laid down the long black sword case that Delvina had given Giles.

Pierre turned to Giles. "Super-fast and powerful slingshots."

Oz shrugged. "Or maybe not."

Marceau tapped the side of his chainsaw. "We're going to use these – eh ..."

"Chainsaws," Oz said.

"Yes. We're going to use these chainsaws and the stakes we made to buy you time. And maybe rid you of a few enemies."

The doors burst open again as Simonet and the other seven Lycanthru wolves marched forward.

Marceau whirled on them with the chainsaw, having already lined up a stake along its chain.

Still in his black wolf form, Simonet raised his paws in a gesture of peace. "We defeated the vampires, but they won't stay down long. I see you've prepared a defense."

Giles adjusted his glasses quickly. "And we'll need your help again, as well. Stand ready."

Simonet gave a wolfish grin, holding Giles' gaze. "Yes. About that." He took large strides toward Pierre, who noticed it too late as Simonet seized his throat and lifted him off the ground. Marceau turned on him with the chainsaw and fired his bolt into Simonet, which had no effect, as another Lycanthru wolf leaped at him and batted the chainsaw away.

"Pierre!" Lisette cried.

"Put my son down!" Mister Leóne ordered.

"Since I can easily crush his throat, I would suggest you make fewer demands," Simonet said calmly.

Everyone held their place as the gloating wolves fanned out among them.

Giles lifted his chin. "What's the meaning of this?"

"A slight change of plans," Simonet said. "While we appreciate your assistance, we clearly don't need all of you anymore. I've learned enough about the Remnant curse from Avurkana to know that we only need your duplicitous friend, Mister Rayne, to recite the incantation from the spellbook you've acquired. I simply needed to confirm it with him on the way over here."

Giles scowled across the room at Ethan.

Ethan swallowed. "Sorry. That part might have slipped out."

"Yes, while bargaining for a better position with us," Simonet said.

Ethan shrugged, almost looking apologetic. "Right. That's probably what caused the slip."

Simonet continued to hold Pierre aloft as the boy struggled in his grip. "We've had an exhausting journey in this land of yours, and our order is famished," he growled. "My men have had their eyes on your young pupil, Cordelia, this entire time. Your other pupil, Oz, with his ability to become a wolf of sorts, presents a certain competition that we don't relish. We'll be devouring them both before we leave."

Oz tensed, while Cordelia took a step back.

"We also have a certain history with Marceau and the Leónes," Simonet continued. "And it's time we exacted our revenge. Your own knowledge of various supernatural studies may yet prove useful, Mister Giles. So rest assured, we'll keep you alive until the last possible second. But I'm afraid you'll have to sacrifice those under your charge."