REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 55.

PART 8: "IF THE APOCALYPSE COMES ..."

Giles and the others scattered within the library gaped in fright as Angel burst open the doors and marched inside, while Drusilla and the rest of the vampire horde poured in on either side of him. "Sorry we're late," Angel said in a mock apology. "Hope you didn't start the party without me."

Ethan paled as he stood in the center of the circle with Delvina's spellbook in hand.

"Don't stop, Ethan!" Giles ordered.

Ethan resumed his incantation, flustered.

Angel's shoulders sagged with disappointment. "Really, Giles? Still playing the tough guy?" He glanced at the vampire on his right. "Get that book for me, would ya?"

The vampire stepped toward Ethan, ready to yank the book away. Marceau aimed his chainsaw at the vampire and switched it on, sending its attached stake hurtling through the air. It struck him squarely in the chest, penetrating his heart. The vampire stopped and stared at the stake lodged in his torso, confused, as he disintegrated into ash.

"Don't bother the man when he's reading," Marceau said.

Angel puzzled over the makeshift weapon, as he saw Oz hand a similarly loaded chainsaw to another blond teenage boy. Seeing the two adult men aim chainsaws in his direction, he leaped to the side and up to the balcony.

"Pierre, take over for me," Oz growled, putting a furry hand to his forehead as he bent over, feeling ill.

Pierre caught the chainsaw. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"A lot," Oz said.

Simonet, in his black wolf form, stepped forth with the other Lycanthru to fight off the approaching vampires, while Pierre, his father, and Marceau took aim with their chainsaws

Simonet, in his black wolf form, stepped forth with the other Lycanthru to fight off the approaching vampires, while Pierre, his father, and Marceau took aim with their chainsaws. Oz dropped to his knees, clutching his sides, as gray fur covered his hands and head. Kneeling on all fours, he lifted his head and howled, having transformed fully into a werewolf.

But unlike any wolf Simonet had ever seen, with a wide round head, small beady eyes, and a strange form that more resembled a gray furry man on his knees. Simonet stared at the creature, aghast. "What on earth is that?"

Giles shouted, "A different form of werewolf

Giles shouted, "A different form of werewolf."

Simonet continued to puzzle over the wolf form Oz had taken. "Quite different."

"Help keep him aimed at the vampires, until we can safely sedate him!" Giles ordered.

Simonet grumbled. "Whatever pleases your majesty."

Upon seeing Simonet as a towering ebony wolf, Oz leaped at him, snarling. Simonet batted him away with both paws, sending him at the intruding monsters. Falling on two vampires, Oz immediately turned his attention on them, biting into their surprised necks. Other vampires stared at one another in confusion, before being struck or bitten by one of the Lycanthru wolves. More vampires came to their aid, grappling with the werewolves, clawing and biting at them.

Ethan dropped the spellbook as he dodged a vampire and werewolf that nearly fell on him as they struggled. "Oh, bugger. Somewhat hard to concentrate in here, Ripper!" he called.

"Start over with the spell, and don't stop!" Giles replied, grabbing the long black case that Lisette had left on the table.

"As you wish, Ripper. I'll try, try again." Ethan dutifully gathered up the book. "Turning to page 394 ..."

Stepping aside from the heat of the battle, Drusilla found herself face to face with Lisette Leóne. She smiled. "Well, well, what have we here? We can have our own little party, just us girls."

Lisette stared back at her coldly. Then she yanked two silver knitting needles from the pockets of her dress and held them up in defense.

Dru nearly chuckled at the weapons. "Sorry, Dearie. Silver doesn't really bother me. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth."

Lisette steadied her nerves

Lisette steadied her nerves. "Silver may not bother you, but I'm very good at working these needles, and Mister Giles says you vampires don't like being staked. As thin as you are, I think I can still find your heart."

Dru's face fell. She stared daggers at Lisette, but kept her distance. Then she leaped aside and jumped up to the balcony, landing beside Angel. "Angel, I'm going home," she said. "If the apocalypse comes ... call me."

She gave Lisette another vicious stare before lifting her dress and turning to flee through the skylight,

Angel turned back to observe the chaotic fight between the Lycanthru and vampires. Both sides were evenly matched, which were exactly the sort of odds he didn't like. He tried to take back control. "Okay, Giles, you've had your fun. I'm really scared. Now tell your buddy to stop reciting the spell, hand over the book, and maybe I'll let some of you live. No promises, though."

Giles drew Cordelia to a corner of the library and stood between her and the battle. "Sorry, no," he called.

"No?" Angel asked, feigning surprise. "Wow, that's not really the answer I was hoping for, Giles."

Giles tried to stall, while watching the Lycanthru try to beat back the vampires. "I can't allow a book to become damaged while it's in my care," Giles said. "I'm a librarian."

Angel frowned. "Soon to be a dead librarian."

Giles ground his teeth, recalling the cruel trail of flowers Angel had left in his apartment, to lead him straight to Jenny's corpse. "Or a librarian who finally has his vengeance."

Angel chuckled. "Boy, you get more brass every day, don't you, Giles? I think it's time somebody put you in your place. You know. In the ground."

Marceau aimed his chainsaw up at the balcony. "I had the same thought," he said, switching the chainsaw on and firing a stake at him.

Angel ducked, seething at how close the shot had come. As he rose, something rumbled from below. He saw that the lid had blown open from the box containing Kalderon. The scorpion statue inside was quaking. Then it began to grow rapidly, bursting out the side walls of the box as it expanded on the library's center table, quickly growing to more than ten feet tall.

Everyone paused.

Ethan gaped at the looming creature. "Now that's a big demon."

Spike rolled his wheelchair through the double entry doors to find everyone staring up at the monstrous demon. "Kalderon," he muttered to himself, awestruck. "The old witch was right. Angel's doing it."

From the balcony, Angel raised his hands in glee. "Guess you're a little late, Giles," he gloated. "Say hello to Kalderon, and goodbye to humanity!"