REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 36.

Helena rode out of town, leading Batman and the others through a long dirt path at the edge of the woods. It connected to a cobbled path of circular stones that cut through a luscious green lawn, accented by brightly colored roses and peonies. The path curved perfectly toward a beautiful country house with curtained windows, far sturdier than any of the homes or buildings Buffy had seen in the village. Helena dismounted from her fiery horse, Crimson, as the others followed suit.

"Wow," said Willow. "This is a nice house."

"The owner is well off," Helena said with a hint of distaste. Her red cloak spread behind her as she marched to the ornate door frame.

To Buffy, she seemed even more aggressive than usual. She didn't know whether to be more concerned about Helena's stiff demeanor or the fact that Xander wasn't cracking any jokes. Instead, he kept frowning and looking away whenever she caught his eye. Whatever was bothering him, she needed him to get over it fast.

But for now, her focus remained on Helena, who had raised her fist to knock, but hesitated a moment before finally announcing her presence.

The door opened. A slim elderly man in a waistcoat and large lace neckerchief stood there. Buffy squinted, wondering if the man was wearing some ancient form of ascot.

"I'm here to see Celia," Helena said with a firm tone.

The man looked apologetic. "I will fetch her, Mademoiselle," he said. "Though she has not received many visitors of late."

The servant retreated, closing the door as everyone waited outside.

Thirty seconds later, a young girl opened the door to glare at Helena. She was Buffy's age, with beautifully coiffed raven hair and a magnificent velvet dress. She looked a lot like Buffy had last Halloween, when she dressed like a fancy aristocratic woman from the 18th century.

The slim girl arched an imperious eyebrow at Helena. "Yes?"

Helena swallowed

Helena swallowed. "Celia, I ... I need to ask you something. It's about Pierre, and his parents. And Marceau. They've all gone missing."

"Have they?" the young woman answered with clear disdain. "How strange. So have my parents."

Helena swallowed. "I'm sorry to disturb you," she said, a slight edge to her voice as she forced herself to continue. "But we need your help. Your name was on a bill of sale at the Leónes' shop."

Celia scrunched her face up and squinted at Helena like she was the stupidest, most repulsive girl in the world. For an instant, Buffy felt like as if she was staring at Cordelia Chase, her own callous, superficial friend back home. She stole a glance at Xander and Willow, who were gaping at the girl with the same apparent thought.

Batman stepped forward, pushing between the crowd, his dark cape spreading behind him. "You purchased some materials that were used to make a torture device."