REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 43.

Over the next two weeks, Eyghon continued to walk among them, unnoticed, in Randall's body, always insisting that he be the one they put to sleep. He kept fearing that they would discover him during one of the rituals and keep him locked within the circle, but they never did.

He got to know each of their names and histories, relations to one another, and their various weaknesses and idiosyncrasies. Especially those of Rupert Giles, who called himself "Ripper." His brash rebellious streak was only a front, posing as a fearless and confident risk taker, yet secretly fearing the grisly outcome. Eyghon had studied him as he watched the news of a gruesome murder, and could see that the deaths had shaken him. Even when "Ripper" watched the funeral of some small children who had gone missing and turned up dead, cut into pieces by their killer. Rupert Giles tried to hide his tears from the others but he couldn't hide them from Eyghon, who was repulsed by the sight. This weeping youth was the one who dared try to command him? The boy couldn't even command himself.

Then one night, he decided that he had learned all he needed to learn about them. As they prepared to summon him again through Randall, he smeared a portion of the circle with his foot, breaking it. Freeing himself to come and go within it.

He could barely contain his delight as Ripper made demands of him once more, bargaining for secret information on casting other spells and summoning other demons. At the end of which, Ripper dismissed him as always, saying, "Be seeing you."

Eyghon, in Randall's body, dropped to the floor, shutting his eyes. Then he waited a moment, blinked his eyes and stood, smiling. "He's gone," he told everyone happily. Then his face fell as he regarded each of them in turn, landing on Ripper as his voice deepened. "Or perhaps he's not."

Everyone froze, staring at Randall as he cast a wicked grin at them all.

"Randall?" Ripper asked, a slight catch in his voice.

"Randall's gone," Randall said, as Eyghon spoke through him in a thick, unearthly voice.

Ripper frantically recited the incantation again to dismiss Eyghon.

Eyghon laughed through Randall. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again? You actually believe that if you recite it with more fervor, you'll banish me."

Ripper swallowed. "I don't get it. How are you able to come back?"

"Because I never left," Eyghon said. "Randall's been asleep these past two weeks. He hasn't been too happy about it, but I just needed him to keep taking sleeping pills. And you know how Randall loves his pills."

Ripper repeated the incantation quickly. Desperately.

"That's the best you can do?" Eyghon mocked. "You couldn't dismiss me before. What makes you think you're strong enough now? You actually thought you could summon me to do your bidding? That you could control Eyghon? You all deserve everything that's coming to you. I could pardon your arrogance. But not your spinelessness. I've watched you all these last two weeks, especially you, Ripper. You're all weak, playing at witchcraft you know nothing about. I could have killed you all whenever I chose. Along with Ripper's new friend, Molly. And her innocent little girl."