REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 44.

Buffy had lain prone as the Lycanthru wolves tied her wrists and ankles to the St. Andrew's cross. She was unable to resist or even speak, due to Avurkana's spell that had rendered her comatose. Once they had secured her, they stood the X-shaped cross upright and planted it firmly in the ground, at the bottom of the sandy ravine they had entered half an hour earlier.

She hung from the cross, helpless. This was bad. If Felix Faust and Avurkana could immobilize her this easily, what could Helena or even Batman do to stop them?

She gasped as she finally regained control of her voice and body. She tugged at the tight ropes, but it was useless.

"Struggle all you like, child," Avurkana rasped as she waddled into Buffy's view beneath the cross. "You cannot free yourself, but your desperate efforts and supernatural strength will be most satisfying for Kalderon to feast upon."

Felix Faust moved in to join her, as the Scarecrow and the wolves filed in on either side. He grinned up at her, gloating. "We do appreciate your sacrifice, Miss Summers."

Buffy grimaced at Faust. "Okay, I know this is the past, but human sacrifice is a bit primitive, don't you think?"

"Don't be so melodramatic," Faust replied. "We're not planning to cut out your heart. Only to terrify your soul beyond imagining, before feeding your body and soul to a large demon."

"Oh, okay. No big, then," she said, pulling at the ropes once more.

"You are wasting your time, dear," Avurkana said. "Those ropes are enchanted. Despite your great strength, you cannot break free unless another chooses to free you. Which we won't do unless we need you for some task, such as killing your companions." Her fat smile spread. "With my powers, I could bind you with a needle and thread and you would still be helpless."

Buffy fumed. "That's very economical. But if I can make one little request? I don't like needles."

"Unfortunate," Faust said. "The Scarecrow is quite fond of them. He could inject you with a serum that would have you babbling in a fetal position from abject terror."

Buffy covered her nervousness about the Scarecrow's needles, by needling Faust instead. "I'm sure he could. But what I don't get is, how is he working for you? I mean ... Everybody's heard of the Scarecrow. But Giles had to actually tell us about you. I'm sure you're a big deal in some part of the world. But in little old Sunnydale ..." She smiled brightly down at him. "We don't even know who you are."

Faust narrowed his gaze at her, clearly annoyed. Then he marched straight at her and stepped up onto a crate to grip her cheeks, squeezing hard. "Which speaks to your ignorance, not to my reputation," he stated. "You imagine yourself a clever warrior, but you are a mere infant, with powers you do not deserve. Kalderon will soon take dominion of you and your entire world, while assigning us positions of leadership in his new order. And your childish threats will do nothing to stop it. So. Do you have anything else to say?"

Buffy fought to speak as he continued to squeeze her cheeks together painfully. "Chubby bunnies."

"