REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 47.

The darkness slowly dissipated for Buffy, as she found herself lying face down on the cold earth. Objects began to form in front of her. Cold, unsettling gray rectangles. She blinked as they took definite shape. She struggled to a sitting position on the ground as the chill of night made her hug her shoulders.

The moon now cast sufficient light for her to make out her surroundings. She was in a graveyard, like she was on most nights. But this was different.

This was the same graveyard she had been patrolling when she had her nightmare the other night. The one in which she sacrificed all of her friends to join Angel as a vampire.

She gasped, standing to her feet quickly and glancing around in a sudden panic. She was trapped in the Scarecrow's living nightmare. Which meant the worst imaginable things were about to happen. The things she feared most. And if she gave in to that fear, the demon Kalderon would rise to life and devour them all.

Her heart began pounding hard within her chest as she walked between the gravestones, watching for any sign of him. Knowing it was inevitable. Knowing he was close by, just waiting for the opportunity to –.

Something shuffled in the large bush near her.

She stood, staring at it like a deer frozen by oncoming headlights.

Or a teenage girl who knew she had no way to escape her fate.

The dark figure emerged from behind the bush, his black trenchcoat wafting behind him as he strode toward her with a malicious grin.

Angel.

"Trick or treat," he said.

She took a step back. "I don't know who you are. But you're not Angel. This is just a dream. A nightmare. You can't hurt me."

"Really?" he asked, snickering. Then he backhanded her across the face, sending her into a painful spiral onto the ground. "Don't tell me what I can't do."

Buffy glared at him, then scrambled to her feet. "Okay, you can punch. But guess what? That means, so can I!"

She spun in place, delivering a wicked kick to his stomach, then drove the base of her hand into his face, knocking him back.

He stood upright instantly and laughed. "Ooh, I like it when you play rough. What do you say? You ready to kiss and make up?" He threw his head back and snarled, his face suddenly taking on the ridged demonic visage of his vampire nature, fangs open for attack. "I know I am."

He lunged at her, gripping her in a tight bear hug and slamming her against a grave marker, loosening it slightly. Pressed against it, she couldn't maneuver out of his clutches.

"Come on, Buffy," he said, leaning toward her neck. "I'll make it quick. Though I can't promise painless. One sharp bite, and I'll be yours forever. More important, you'll be mine."