REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 11.

"So he's really coming?" Oz asked in his standard monotone, seated at the library table the following afternoon. "I've gotta admit ... I'm pretty excited."

Cordelia frowned, seated beside him. "Yeah, no one can tell that."

"I can," Willow offered brightly. "His pinky finger's twitching. And it won't stop!"

"Dead giveaway," Oz admitted.

"I can't believe you guys actually met Batman," Cordelia said, jealous of the smiles from Buffy, Xander, Willow, and Giles standing near the receiving desk. "And you met him before me! How is that fair?"

"Maybe it's not," Xander said smugly. "And yet, I just can't stop smiling about it."

Cordelia soured at him. "Fine. Enjoy your five minutes of not-complete-lame-ness." She brightened, leaning across the table toward Buffy and Willow. "Okay, so. On to important matters. Is he as gorgeous as his pictures?"

The girls lowered their eyes, smiling to themselves and shifting uncomfortably. Buffy forced a mild shrug. "I don't know if I'd say 'gorgeous,' but – no, actually, he's totally hot."

"Way hot," Willow agreed happily. Then she frowned, as if suddenly noticing Oz at the table. "Oh. Sorry, Oz."

Oz lifted his shoulders with the slightest hint of a shrug. "Hey, if I feel inadequate compared to a legendary superhero – still feeling pretty adequate."

"Yeah, well, I'm not," Xander burst, turning on Cordelia. "Just don't worry about how he looks. In person or in pictures. In fact, stop looking at pictures."

"Okay, chill," Cordelia said, clenching her teeth. "It's not like I'm going to ride off with him in the Batmobile and you'll never see me again." She smiled at the appealing thought. "I mean, unless he asks me to."

"Okay, that's enough," Xander said, pressing his hands down as if slamming them against something. "If anyone's gong to ride in the Batmobile, it's going to be me. And if anyone's going to stare at pictures of Batman, it's going to be me. And that's not how I meant for that to come out, either. I'm having a lot of trouble talking lately."

"I hadn't noticed," Giles said, striding between them. "In any case, Batman should be able to help us deal with whatever the Scarecrow and Ethan are planning. Before it's too late."

"Before it's too late?" Buffy asked as the others gave Giles their full attention. "What does that mean?"

"That's what I'd also like to know," Batman said from above them. Everyone turned and gasped, seeing him perched atop the upper floor railing as if he had appeared out of thin air. "You made this meeting sound rather dire, Giles."

Buffy struggled to recover and appear casual. "Oh, actually – Giles makes everything sound dire."

"Holy crap, it's really him," Cordelia said with a dreamy expression. "And he really is incredibly –!"

Xander put up a hand. "Don't say it. It only adds to the inadequacy."

Oz squinted at the others, pondering. "Anyone else wondering how he suddenly appeared on the railing?"

 "Anyone else wondering how he suddenly appeared on the railing?"