REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 49.

Giles squinted through the darkening, drizzling rain at Angel and the horde of vampires flanking him, ready to devour everyone under Giles' care. Oz, Cordelia, Ethan, and the displaced strangers from the past, Marceau and the Leóne family. All so that he could secure the spellbook Giles had just obtained, which contained his only hope of restoring everyone to their proper time. His only hope of bringing Buffy home.

Not on his watch.

"Out of our way, Angel," he ordered. "This doesn't concern you."

"Oh, come on, Giles," Angel pleaded in a mocking tone. "Everything you do concerns me. Any friend of Buffy's ... is a potential victim of mine." He took on a delighted, daydreaming expression. "Could you imagine the look on her face when she found her beloved mentor in lots of bloody pieces thrown all over her bed. Say. That sounds familiar. Getting some déjà vu here. Isn't that a little like what I did to your girlfriend? What was her name again? Jenny?"

Giles started to lunge forward, seething as the vampires snickered at him. "You'll pay for that, bloodsucker. And everything else you've done."

"Sure, sure. But we were still talking about you, in a bloody mess in Buffy's bedroom. Boy, Joyce will be freaking out, won't she? Buffy would have a hard time explaining that one, if she had any chance of ever making it home. But you could probably help her come up with some clever explanation. If only you weren't so dead."

Simonet drew closer to Giles' side while staring hard at Angel. "He certainly enjoys his speeches," he noted. "Go on ahead. We'll handle this. He's fully prepared to kill you in the manner he described."

Giles turned to Simonet, surprised. "You can hold them off?"

Simonet gave the slightest smirk as he withdrew a small vial from the pocket of his overcoat. He uncorked it and drank its contents. "We'll know soon. I bathed in enough moonlight last night to transform, though I typically prefer to keep my full strength in reserve, for those situations in which it is truly needed. Such as this."

Before Giles' eyes, Simonet's face contorted, his nose and lower jaw lengthening into a canine snout as his ears moved higher on his temples and developed sharp points. His hands grew fur and claws that shredded his clothing from his hairy chest and legs, as a broad tail sprang out behind him. Giles shrank back in alarm as he stared up into the yellow eyes of a towering black wolf. Indeed, Simonet's true power had been contained until now, revealing that he might be the most powerful Lycanthru of them all.

 Indeed, Simonet's true power had been contained until now, revealing that he might be the most powerful Lycanthru of them all

Angel eyed the large black wolf, curious. He sniffed the air, confused by its smell. "It can't be," he said aloud. "Human mixed with demon. Lycanthru? Thought they were extinct. Oh, of course. The Remnant curse brought them forward from the past." He smiled, amused. "Giles! You're hanging with werewolves now?"