REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 32.

Having run a safe distance from Willy's Bar, Giles and the others finally relaxed into a stroll, heading back down the sidewalk toward the school library.

"Well, that was a bust," Oz said, his disappointment clear even through his monotone.

"In the truest sense of the word," Ethan added. "I told you, Ripper. Even among demons, hardly anyone knows about the Remnant curse, and those who do know something won't want to share it with us."

"Yes, I know," Giles replied through clenched teeth. "I understood it the first fifteen times you told me. Nevertheless, it was our only option and ... worth a shot."

Ethan spread his palms. "But now we're back at the drawing board with nothing to show for tonight's work, if we can call it that."

"If anyone can find a solution," Simonet broke in. "Mister Giles will."

Giles squinted at him in surprise. "What makes you say that?"

"You're relentless, in your own quiet way," Simonet said. "It's clear that you refuse to give up until you've found a solution. With that type of passion in motion, you will find what you need, or it may find you."

"Hey, nice night for a walk, huh?" said a short man in a black business hat, rushing up to them from behind.

Simonet seized the lapels of the man's brown blazer and whirled him about, slamming him against the nearest brick wall. "That depends. What do you want?"

"Hey, easy on the merchandise! I'm on your side!" the man said, grunting. He peered past Simonet at Giles. "Well, on some of yours, anyway. I'm not down with these temporary good guys." He jabbed a thumb at Simonet. "But for the rest of ya ... I got what you need."

The others exchanged glances. Oz answered, "Doubtful. We're not looking for drugs. Or tips on dressing like the Rat Pack."

"Hey, don't knock the style, kiddo. It's classic," the scrawny man said.

Oz raised an eyebrow. "Classic like calling people 'kiddo?'"

Giles stepped forward, eyeing the stranger. "Simonet asked you a question. Who are you and what do you want?"

"Me? I'm Whistler," the man said. "In your case, I'm a whistleblower. Blowing the lid off what's going down in the underworld. And I do mean 'under.'"

Giles waited for further explanation. "I don't understand."

"Be a miracle if you did. Nobody understands me. Don't worry, it don't hurt my feelings. I'm used to it."

Marceau stepped beside Giles. "You said your name. Now why are you here?"

"To help you out, like I said. Sounds like you could use it. You're all messing with things that humans shouldn't be messing with."

"So you're not human," Giles noted.

"Nah, I'm a demon," Whistler said. He put up his hands quickly. "But a friendly one. You gotta trust me."

"Oh, do I?" Giles asked.

"What, you'd rather trust these posers you're hanging with?" Whistler asked, indicating Simonet and the wolves. "Listen, I ain't planning to eat you the second we end our partnership. You hanging out with these guys, not to mention walking straight into the lion's den at Willy's Bar, means you're into something real dangerous. I may be a demon, but I'm not out to destroy humans. And I sure ain't no Lycanthru." He perked up at Giles' look of surprise. "Hey, you obviously dug 'em up from the past. They've been out of circulation for a few hundred years but you can smell these guys a mile away. Humans turning themselves into demons? That's a stench you don't forget. What, did somebody pull a Remnant curse?"