REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 34.

Batman followed Helena's horse, Crimson, through the forest until they reached the cobblestoned paths of La Rue Sauvage. Then they turned toward the east end of town, guiding their horses past various shops and businesses.

As they passed by, Buffy noticed the villagers clearing a path for them, while staring at them with alarm. Several people were jarred by Batman's appearance, looking like a bizarre bat-like monster atop a horse.

But everyone seemed nearly as frightened by her appearance, as well as Helena's.

"Look, Mama, it's her," a small boy said, pointing up at Helena on her horse. "It's the Red Rider! Who are all those other people?"

The mother pulled her young son away, marching by with a stiff profile in her embroidered dress. "Never mind them," she said. "We don't need any part of her activities, or anyone else with her. Come along before you get trampled."

Buffy stared after the woman as she hurried the boy across the street and into a clothing shop, letting the door slam shut behind her. She realized her mouth was hanging open and she closed it. She didn't get it. Were these people on Helena's side or not?

She urged her horse forward, to trot alongside Helena. "We don't seem too popular around here," she said.

Helena shrugged. "People are nervous. They don't know what to make of me." She looked down at Buffy and her slacks. "And they certainly don't know what to make of you."

Buffy looked down at her legs. "Why? You're wearing pants, too."

"Of necessity," Helena said. "I'm only wearing trousers so I can fight."

"Well, so am I," Buffy shot back.

Helena looked at her, softening. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. Of all people, I should know better than to judge someone for how she dresses. I suppose I've been seeing you the way other people see me. and being just as cruel. Forgive me."

Buffy half-smiled

Buffy half-smiled. "No big. Apology accepted. I get it. We don't exactly blend in here. But seriously, what's with being so judge-y on my fashion choices but giving Batman a total pass? What's that about?"

Helena stared at her, confused. "A total ... pass?"

"Oh, right," Buffy said. "I keep forgetting to talk old school. Like, old old school, as in ancient history. Or at least, medieval history. So, of course you'd have no clue about –."

"I can't understand a word you're saying," Helena said, dumbstruck.

Buffy pointed at her, smiling. "Took the words right out of my mouth. Anyway, what I meant was, why weren't you more bothered by Batman's clothes?"

"Oh," Helena said. "Honestly, I was just relieved that he wasn't some kind of giant bat-demon. I understand that he dresses that way to make people think he is one."