REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 3.

Principal Snyder smoothed the hair on the sides of his bald head for the third time that morning, as he sat in the opulent waiting room of Sunnydale's town hall. He admired the white marble pillars, the potted plants, the broad ornate reception desk. He examined it all and dreamed what it would be like to work in an auspicious office like this someday.

"Mister Snyder," the receptionist said, interrupting his daydreams as she looked up from her computer. She set the phone receiver down. "Mayor Wilkins will see you now."

Snyder smiled. It was music to his ears. "Thank you," he said, rising quickly to march down the hall in the direction she had indicated.

He had never been summoned to the mayor's office. Although he knew the mayor had been directly involved in the council's decision to hire him as principal of Sunnydale High School, he and the mayor had never actually met.

Until today.

He swiped at his side hair once more, wishing he had more of it. Wishing he were a foot taller, at least six feet. Wishing he could afford a better suit to wear to this meeting. But perhaps, if everything went smoothly this morning, he could afford a few more suits by this time next year. He smiled at the possibilities.

 He smiled at the possibilities

"Principal Snyder?"

Mayor Richard Wilkins had poked his head out of his office. He was a pleasant-looking man, with a conservative gray suit and bright, inviting eyes.

"That's me," Snyder answered.

The mayor's hand shot forth to take Snyder's. "Pleasure to meet you," he said with a vigorous handshake. "Come on in. Mister Snyder. Unless you prefer I call you R—."

"No, no," Snyder said, holding up a hand. "'Snyder' is sufficient."

"Formal as the dickens, aren't you?" the mayor said with a chuckle. "Well, come on in, 'Snyder'. Did you wipe your feet?"

Snyder blinked, taken aback. "Of course."

"Good," Mayor Wilkins said. "Just shampooed the carpet in here last week. Step right in."

Snyder paused, letting the mayor enter ahead of him. He quietly took a step back, wiped each of his shoes in the hallway, then stepped inside.

The mayor's office was a magnificent display of order and propriety. Awards and degrees adorned the far wall and an American flag stood in the corner. Filing cabinets stood against the opposite wall, with clear access to all necessary information. And the mayor's leather swivel chair stood tall behind a broad work desk on which had been spread ...

... an enormous jigsaw puzzle.

Snyder blinked.

The mayor moved behind the desk, resuming his study of the puzzle that appeared to have been started earlier that day, or the day before.