REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 22.

Buffy peered through the wagon wheel spokes at the dark sawmill in the distance. She saw another flash of red wafting past a window before disappearing into the blackness. Perfect. She and Batman had finally located the mysterious Red Rider, the local heroine that everyone admired for her one-girl crusade against the terrorizing werewolves.

And she was firing her crossbow at them, nearly killing them both with two bolts.

"She's using a Chukonu," Batman said.

Buffy craned her neck forward. "A Choo-who-now?"

"A Chukonu," Batman said. "A repeating crossbow. Chinese design. Very rare. Probably a homemade job, to be here in France, but it's well done."

"Not to mention pointy, and very repeat-y," Buffy said.

"That's how she's able to fight against several wolves at once, firing several bolts in succession," Batman deduced. "I had forgotten that part of the legend. Though it still doesn't explain how her bolts were able to kill the wolves when no one else could."

"A little more concerned about her not killing us right now," Buffy said. "Any thoughts on that?"

"We've got to get that Chukonu away from her."

"Right," Buffy said. "That's a brilliant Bat-plan."

He stared at her.

She frowned. "You probably hate it when people say things like that."

"It's one of the reasons I rarely work with kids."

"Okay, so – we remove her Kazoozoo ..."

"Chukonu," he corrected.

"Right. Any thoughts on how?"

"Distraction. I'll draw her fire, while you sneak into the rear of the sawmill to move in behind her.

Buffy raised her hand slightly. "Uh, suggestion? I'm not a superhero or anything. I mean, I'm a little too shy to wear tights, but – I do have this super strength, speed, agility, dodging skill set? Maybe I should draw her fire while you do the cloaky-sneaky thing?"

He studied her, considering. "All right, I'll allow it."

Buffy raised indignant eyebrows. "You'll allow it?"

"Just be careful," Batman said, ignoring her offense. "If the legends are true, she's a lot better than you think."

Buffy blinked. Was that an actual hint of hidden concern behind that stone-cold voice? "Yes, boss," she said.

 Was that an actual hint of hidden concern behind that stone-cold voice? "Yes, boss," she said

"Keep moving. Don't let her get a bead on you. After you distract her, I'll move in and disarm her, or reason with her, to show her we mean no harm."

Buffy shook her head, like a cow shaking off flies. "'Reason with her?' No offense, but since when are you Mr. Touchy-Feely?"