REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 21.

The sand continued to trickle down above Xander and Willow's heads. It wasn't much, Xander noted. Barely more than the water that might come from a dripping faucet.

But give it time ...

"You are noting the seriousness of your predicament," said Felix Faust, striding closer to them from the outside of their hourglass prison. "Good. Let us hope your supernaturally gifted friend and the caped crusader take it just as seriously. Before your time runs out."

Xander jutted out his chin, defiant. "We're always serious," he said. Then he blinked, correcting himself. "Okay, actually, I'm never serious. But in this one instance, we're gonna – I mean –." He swallowed, frustrated. "Buffy's gonna kick your ass!"

"Yes, I'm sure," Faust droned. "Unfortunately for your rescuers, whatever they are planning will not matter. All that matters is that they return with the Red Rider."

"Yeah, well, she's probably gonna kick your ass, too!"

"No, my young fool," said the elderly witch, Avurkana, drawing alongside Faust. "She will come here, right where I want her, to help us raise Kalderon."

"Hey, I don't know this Red Rider chick," Xander said. "But I'm pretty sure she's not gonna join your demon party."

"She'll have no choice," Avurkana said with a smug grin. "Any more than the two of you will. You belong to us now, to use as we see fit." She paced along the outer glass wall, inspecting Xander and Willow like they were fascinating zoo animals.

Then she reached forth, her hand somehow pushing through the glass as though it were gelatin, and grabbing the back of Willow's head to tug her forward.

Willow grunted. "Let go!"

"Interesting," Avurkana said, studying Willow's struggles to escape her tight grip

"Interesting," Avurkana said, studying Willow's struggles to escape her tight grip. "You have great power brewing inside you, young one, eager to rise to the surface. You could be turned into an adept pupil under my tutelage. You might one day become as powerful as me."

Willow gave a vicious yank, finally pulling away as Avurkana released her. "I'll never be anything like you," Willow snapped.

The witch drew her hand back through the glass with a gloating smile. "Don't be so sure."

Xander stepped between her and Willow. "Hey, back off, Wartfest!" he warned.

"And you," Avurkana said. "You have nothing to offer. No power. No magic. No great intellect."

"Yeah?" Xander challenged, stung by her assessment. "Well, at least I'm not running for Hag of the Year."

She smiled grimly. "Nevertheless. You have a fiery will. You continue to fight, even when you know you have already lost. You could serve me well." She explained to Faust over her shoulder. "A strong-willed slave can prove very useful, when properly trained. Their anger over their helplessness makes them valuable tools, especially when they are sent to deliver messages to one's enemies. They learn quickly to express their rage in violent acts."