REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 31.

Oz struggled in the scaly monster's grip, his feet searching for a firm place beneath him. His attempts to pass himself off as a demon in Willy's Bar had clearly not worked.

"You think you're the first human fools to try to bluff their way into our midst?" the purple-scaled beast asked, shaking Oz for emphasis. The spikes extended farther from his face and forearms, seeming to grow with his rage. "I was feeling merciful before, ready to let you and your friends leave on your own feet. But now, you can all leave in pieces."

Oz gripped the monster's bulky arm, as its claw continued to hold him aloft, near a thin upper window.

Through which Oz caught a clear view of the half-moon poking through dark clouds.

He felt his cheek twitch, with the adrenaline of fear and anger, and he snarled. An inhuman snarl that bellowed from somewhere deep in his gut.

He felt himself twitching more as he stared down at the huge demon, whose face had fallen. Then his snarl turned into a low rumbling roar, like that of a lion.

Or a werewolf.

The demon stared up at Oz ... at the strange fire in his eyes, the glint of sharp teeth ... and set him on the floor quickly. He stared up and down at Oz, astounded as the boy's face turned human again. "I ... I apologize. You just ... You don't look like any sort of beast at all."

Oz straightened his shirt, licking his lips, and scolded the creature. "That's sort of the point, isn't it? Demons in disguise. Not 'demons who still look like demons so they're easy to identify.'"

"Of course," the demon replied, raising his hands in apology. "I didn't mean to offend you or your friends by implying that you were the least bit human. Your disguises fooled me completely. An honest mistake."

"Well, I don't like mistakes," Oz said hotly. "Don't let it happen again."

"Of course," the demon said. "We don't see many of your kind in here."

"Huh. I wonder why," Oz said, resuming his place in the booth as Marceau stood to allow him in.

"Please," the demon said. "My name is Branok. Let me buy you something to drink."

"Yeah, do that," Oz ordered. "We're thirsty."

"Of course. No hard feelings. Wait here. I'll be right back."

"Fine," Oz allowed. "Guess I'll spare your life."

The spiked demon marched to the bar counter where Giles and Simonet sat, and ordered something from the bartender.

Marceau lifted his water glass, pretending to sip from it as he spoke out of the corner of his mouth. "Well done," he said quietly to Oz. "Now we all just need to remain calm ... and try not to die."

Cordelia felt less calm, leaning across the table with wild eyes. "Okay, what just happened?" she asked Oz. "How did you get all snarly? I thought you said the full moon's not 'til tomorrow."

"It's not," Oz said. "Must be some kind of residual werewolf thing."

Cordelia's eyes popped in alarm. "'Residual werewolf thing?' You mean you can be wolf-like when you're not a full wolf?"

Oz considered the thought for a split-second. "Yeah, gonna go with that explanation," he decided.

The Lycanthru wolf beside Cordelia snorted. "A little more like us. It seems you lose your faculties when you become a full wolf. Whereas we simply get stronger."