REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 33.

PART 5: A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS

Buffy opened her eyes and stretched, feeling a slight sense of guilt once more for being chosen to sleep on Helena's cot while everyone else slept on the floor. Then she sniffed the strong odor of hay and some manure, and felt less privileged.

She smiled and turned to see if Xander and Willow were up yet, but only saw Batman, standing in the corner like a gargoyle as he stared straight at her. She gasped and jumped.

Batman didn't move.

"You just scared the crap out of me!" she whined. "Do you have to be so creepy? Can't you make an announcement, like, 'Hey, kids, just a reminder that I'm still over here standing in the corner.' What, are you spying on me?"

"It's what I do," he said.

Buffy squinted at him. "Is that a joke?"

Batman sighed. "Why does everyone keep asking me that?"

"We should probably stop asking," Buffy said. "Where is everybody?"

"Upstairs," Batman droned. "Having some breakfast before we investigate the Leónes blacksmith shop, where those materials for the St. Andrew's cross originated. I didn't want to wake you too soon. You need your rest."

"Yes, I do," she answered in a mocking tone. "And I also need to avoid heart attacks."

"And yet you stay up past midnight, checking cemeteries for vampires to fight."

"There's no winning with you, is there?" she said. "All right, I'm up. Let's go get some breakfast." She rolled off the cot and stood to her feet.

Batman gestured toward the ladder. "Ladies first."

Buffy smiled in surprise, then bounced jauntily to the ladder and started climbing up.

After some bread and more lamb meat ... which caused Buffy to notice that these people ate a lot of lamb ... Buffy thanked Father Vestille for the food and started out the front door with Helena, Xander and Willow.

"I'll join you in a moment," Batman told her. "Ready the horses."

He waited for Buffy to leave. She cast him a puzzled look, before she finally stepped outside.

Batman moved to the door and shut it. "Father Vestille, I'd like to speak privately, if you can spare a few moments."

The elder priest sat at the table, casual and relaxed

The elder priest sat at the table, casual and relaxed. "Of course," he said.

Batman stared at the floorboards. "I'm fully aware that, at some point, everyone needs help. Unfortunately, it's not easy for everyone to find it. For some of us, showing signs of weakness ... any weakness ... can be dangerous. Both for the people who depend on us and for ourselves. For whatever reason, I believe I can talk to you. Perhaps because you're a stranger and I know we'll never meet again. Perhaps because you're a priest. Or perhaps because you remind me of someone I often talk to in times of crisis."