REMNANT: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer meets Batman and the Red Rider - Chapter 37.

"So here's a thought," Xander said from his saddle, where Willow held onto his waist more loosely than she had before. "What if we don't go rushing into the jaws of death by challenging Faust and his friend, the Wicked Hag of the West? What if we just head back to Helena's place and let Father Vestille cook up whatever passes for pizza around here? Like lamb? Let's have some more lamb and call it a day."

Helena and Buffy paused for a moment to frown over their shoulders at Xander, before Helena returned her attention to the tan wolf loping ahead of them, leading them to Faust's hiding place at Le Ruisseau Ferrein.

Batman grimaced. Xander's juvenile remarks and callous disregard for the danger they faced was wearing on his nerves. "We'll call it a day when we've stopped Faust and Avurkana from destroying all of human history by raising that tyrannical demon."

Xander shrugged. "Hey, it's not like we can actually stop it," he said. "Might as well accept our fate. We've already lost."

"We haven't lost anything," Buffy said, her own irritation clear as she grit her teeth. "Unless we give up before we even get started. What's gotten into you today?"

"I don't know," Xander said with another apathetic shrug. "Common sense, maybe? A healthy fear of death?"

"Just chill," Buffy ordered, frowning. "Whatever we run into, I'm sure we can all handle –."

She stopped abruptly at the sight of a dozen wolves emerging from behind the abandoned sawmill, surrounding them on all sides.

"... it." She glanced about as the wolves snarled at them, startling the horses. The tan wolf that had been leading them turned on them suddenly, joining the others. And for an instant, Buffy could have sworn it was smiling.

 And for an instant, Buffy could have sworn it was smiling

Xander's horse reared, and Willow fell from the saddle. "Willow!" he cried.

In a flash, Helena turned her horse, Crimson, to race back for her. "Take my hand!" she ordered. Willow scrambled to her feet and reached for Helena as the wolves closed in on her. Helena rushed past them, grabbing Willow's hand tight and using Crimson's momentum to tug her up onto the saddle. She whirled away, distancing herself from the attacking Lycanthru so she could prepare to fight back.

Batman hurled smoke grenades at the ground, disorienting the wolves. They spread out, coughing, struggling for a clear view. A few of them raced down the hill, following the tan wolf.

Outside the circle of Lycanthru, Helena turned and raised her repeating crossbow. As three wolves closed in on Xander and Buffy, she took quick aim and dropped each one in succession. She had seven bolts left before she would have to reload. Enough to take out the surrounding wolves on the hill before chasing after the others.

But not enough to take out the five other wolves emerging from behind the sawmill. She hesitated, cautious to spare her shots for the ones that drew closest to Buffy and Xander.